Friday, January 24, 2014

Ice And Hedda

Susan came out in order to walk, but I had gotten the paper earlier and decided against it.  Not only was the street icy, but in spots, so were the sidewalks.  I was able to take the car to Acme, as the main streets were clear.
I had no problem going to Manahawkin after breakfast to pick up my medication and run a few other errands.  In anticipation of rehearsal last night, I took a dry run to the H.'s on Nugentown Road and was pleased to find it was okay.  Came home and did wash, tidied up a bit, then spent time reading The Goldfinch, an enthralling book.
Brother Larry called and we had a good talk.  Some family members are going to Costa Rico in the summer and he's thinking of going, too.  Hmm, I know Joan H. has a vacation house there; wonder if I should consider going.  I then called brother Frank and enjoyed my virtual visit with him.
Got to rehearsal early and chatted with Mary and Jim until the others arrived.  We did act four, in which I appear for only a few minutes and a few lines, but I stayed to see the rest of it with the four principals.  After, we discussed motivation and technique--how to convey our characters' mindsets? what are their thoughts, back stories, and driving forces? what were they doing last Tuesday?--which I always find deeply satisfying.
I decided that Aunt Julia (that's me, folks) had lost her brother and his wife in a ferry accident from Oslo to one of the islands when George was six.  She's a fussy, bossy old lady, a spinster with little imagination, who defines herself by her care of others.  Now she's lost George to marriage, and will lose Rina to death, so how can she (warning: cliche dead ahead!) "reinvent herself," except by taking in another poor invalid?
Anyway, it was a good session.    

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...