Saturday, May 03, 2008

Talked to Betty early on, then to friend Hazel, who just lost her husband. I was saddened to learn that her sister, whom I remember from years ago, died just a few days after Sleek. Made plans to take Hazel to lunch on Wednesday if she feels up to it.
Went to Leslie's to say goodbye (she and Dennis leave for Mississippi this morning) and talk about her Anthony. It was his birthday; he would have been 34.
I then went to Boscov's and got a neat persimmon-colored shirt, plus two spring jackets. The first is just an inexpensive nylon in red, the other a terrific-looking white duck. I have pangs of conscience when I contemplate the price tag, but oh, is it spiffy! Tried on a lot of overpriced sneakers, but somehow, the sizes weren't quite right. Same with the undergarments, as I so delicately describe them--I should get measured or something, as I have no idea what size I wear now.
During Susan's and my walk, I had started worrying aloud about getting my big suitcase from the attic. I'm afraid to climb the pull-down ladder, let alone try to get down safely. Without missing a beat, she declared that she loves to climb, she's had these "attic" arrangements in many of their homes, she'll go up there, don't hesitate to let her, etc. I took her at her word and went over to ring her bell while Pat was at the bay. She and Walter came to the door and greeted me with "Great! You're here! It's teatime!" It seems they have a cup of tea and cookies everyday about 3:30, Walter being of English descent and from Canada, so of course, I joined them with pleasure.
After, Susan came back to the house with me and yes, pulled down the ladder and nimbly ascended. She didn't even have to go all the way up, as the suitcases were near the opening.
Pat got home and while Susan was here, he asked us to inspect the birdhouse, as we hadn't seen the bluebirds for several days. To our dismay, we found four tiny blue eggs on the grass. All had cracks or holes in them, but not big enough for even babies to get out. We're mystified as to what could have caused this tragedy: Pat thinks mama bird accidentally laid them on the grass; Susan wondered about a predator, and I just dunno.
Alison called on her and Mike's way to their Friday night hike. To my astonishment, she said she thought it was better for her to stay at our house while I'm away. If her Dad were at their house, he'd effectively be unable to go anywhere, as they have four steps he would have to use. He could go down, but it's very difficult for him to go up. Of course, this would be much more convenient for me and much more comfortable for Pat. Now I won't have to pack up the enormous amount of equipment he needs besides clothes and toiletries (concentrator, inhaler, medication boxes and bottles, etc.)--what a relief! I protested--faintly--but Alison insisted it will be no problem for her (only about twice as far for her to get to work, separation from her husband, chores she's not used to), and I am so grateful. The more I think of it, the better--for Pat and me--it is. He can still go to the bay and we have plenty of close--literally and figuratively--neighbors in case he or she needs them. Can't imagine what I did to deserve such a daughter--must have been something wonderful.
Later: I'm just back from Weight Watchers. Lost another 1.4 pounds for a total of 66.9 and a current weight of 132.8. (That's after 2 weeks, not 1.) Think I'll try for 70 and the 120s.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...