Monday, May 26, 2008

Had a lovely surprise day yesterday. Just as I was giving Pat his lunch, Alison called to ask if I was free. If so, did I want to go on an excursion with her and Tristan? I had planned to do some gardening, but scuttled that instantly. Of course, I'll go!
Got to Cream Ridge about 2:15 to find my D.D. and her D.G., adorable Tristan, waiting in the driveway. We packed up her car--babies require an enormous amount of equipment--and took off for Lambertville.
On such a gorgeous holiday weekend, the place was jammed. We parked several blocks out of town and took the broad path next to the canal, a wonderful place to walk: On one side is the green, slow-moving water of the canal, banked with masses of foliage; on the other the varied gardens and backyards of the lucky residents. I've always loved Lambertville, which I think is overshadowed by trendier, better-known New Hope, PA, just across the Delaware.
We got to the main drag and meandered along looking in store fronts, then walked across the bridge to Pennsy. We did the same there, just walked, talked, and enjoyed the day.
The crowds were dense on both sides and the traffic was so heavy--every third vehicle seemed to be a roaring, smoke-spitting motorcycle--that it was sometimes hard to hear. However, the mood was thoroughly festive and it was fun to be part of the throng.
We took Tristan to see the ducks and one stately swan on the river, then found a playground and pushed him on the baby swing. He loved this, laughing out loud when Alison pretended to grab his toes. We struck up a conversation with a young couple pushing their baby on the next swing-- "She's adorable, how old is she?" "He's darling, what's his name?"--which is an absolute constant when you're out with babies. The young woman asked Alison how much T. weighs and was taken aback when she said she wasn't sure. We then mentioned that Alison's his grandmother, not his mother, and I'm his great-grand--it's always fun to see people's reactions. It was about 5:00 when we walked the mile or so back to the car and I called Pat to tell him he'd have to get himself something for dinner. We delivered T. back to his parents (Joel and Jen had taken little Joel to a park to set off rockets or something--didn't quite get that), and I said goodbye. What a terrific day!
Arrived home about 7:20 to find Pat talking to Ellen. Chatted with her for 45 minutes or so, then enjoyed my popcorn and wine. I had missed dinner, but that's all right because I'll indulge at the H.'s party today.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...