Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Had a quiet, but very pleasant day yesterday. After saying goodbye to Ellen, I walked (2.5 mi.) with Joan and her Australian hound, who's part dingo, and we got acquainted. I guess Joan is about 55, intelligent and fun to be with. She's a retired teacher and is now married to Ken, a transportation engineer of Chinese descent; they live in Orange County. We showed each other around our daughters' homes and agreed to walk again today--she'll stop for me at 7:30.
The weather is much warmer, thank heavens. I took a shower, and dressed in Bermudas and a light top before turning my attention to an activity for the day.
There are no malls or store within walking distance of Ellen's, and I wouldn't dream of paying for a cab, so I called the bus company. Was told buses don't run on Bristol Road, the nearest cross street, but they do on Telephone Street, about a mile from here. I walked there and saw bus stops on either side of the busy road. Which one--and which direction--to choose? Had no idea where I would end up or in which direction I was going, but figured I could always get back, so hopped on a bus.
As it turned out, I was able to get off at a bustling mall and spent an enjoyable time at Kohl's. They were having a two-for-one sale on linens and I got Ellen some nice towels and washcloths. Arrived home without incident, had a late lunch, and took a nap (unheard of for me) for an hour or so until El got in.
After dinner, Ellen suggested we put on our bathing suits and go to one of the three spas in the complex where she lives. What?! At that hour?! When the sun was going down?! (It was 7 pm and about 65 degrees.) Sure, okay, I'm game, so we went to the closest one, only a short distance away. Did NOT go in the pool, which was chilly, but luxuriated in the hot tub until we were boiled in our skins. Went home to put on our jammies, then watched LPBW (Ellen has a DVR) with wine and popcorn until I conked out. Slept like a log and got up feeling like a million.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

That is so cool that you got on a bus not knowing where you'd get off. LOVE IT!
Sounds like you are having a ball.

Mimi said...

I am having a ball, Pat. As for the bus, I figured I can always get one back from wherever I ended up.
Hope Rich is healing well.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...