Friday, May 30, 2008

Warning: I use this blog partly as a reminder about various things. The medical stuff is probably boring to anybody else, so you might has well just skip. (Of course, everything else on the blog is riveting--ha!)
Had an 8:30 doctor appointment to discuss my blood work. Cholesterol remains good with 1/4 of the Lovastatin I originally took, although not as low as it was when I was on more: 154, as opposed to 130 in February. LDL (bad) is at 77, was 55; HDL (good) 63, was 61. Doc said these were all acceptable and I should continue the smaller dose.
The BP was a puzzle. It was 151/91, much too high, then 148/90 when she took it again, still high. However, this was on the right arm; on the left, it was 126/94. (Seems to me that second number was still high.) I take it myself at Acme several times a week, and it's consistently been in the 120s and low 130s for the first number and the 60s and low 80s for the second. Acme device is set up so you can only take it on the left--but how could that matter? The doctor herself is puzzled. She asked about my caffeine intake in the morning and I admitted I drink about 3 cups. She then told me to make an appointment for next week at 1:00 to get the BP done again.
Okay, medical part over.
Went to Kohl's and tried on bathing suits. Liked one, but not that much, so decided to wait and go to Boscov's. Stopped to get catering menus from two restaurants and called a linen supply place in Egg Harbor. Talked to Betty and friend Hazel. Washed clothes, watered the new plants, and otherwise occupied myself.
About 4:30, Susan called to ask about a convenient time for Walter to come over to install the printer they're giving me. I suggested right then, not realizing it was so complicated. Poor Walter was setting it up for an hour and a half; Susan came with him and stayed to chat, but left before 6:00. The printer is now in--or on--and it just made me reflect again on the terrific neighbors we have.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Are you sure you got those Cholesterol numbers right? I would think the doctor would say they are fantastic....saying they are merely acceptable doesn't strike me as correct.

Re the B/P. Supermarket machines are notoriously inaccurate. Elevated B/P in the doctor's office and not at other times...probably reflects 'white coat syndrome'.

Just the other day the AHA came out with a statement that ALL patients who have hypertension should be monitoring their B/P at home. Buy a good machine that adequately fits your arm.....take the B/P on the same arm at the same time twice a day and report those numbers to your doctor. I'm surprised she didn't tell you to do this.
Do not buy a wrist machine....they are not accurate.

N.B.
B/P readings can vary on the other arm. A 10 mm difference is acceptable. You might record the readings for both arms to share with the doctor. Also sit quietly for 5 minutes to get an accurate baseline reading.

1.) Buy a good machine.....measure pressure on your upper arm with correct size cuff. I think I paid $100 for our LifeSource machine. Found and ordered it via Google.

2). Rest 5 minutes...take B/P reading every AM and PM at the same time for each arm.

3.) Do not use supermarket/drug store machines to get this info. They are inaccurate.

4,) Keep in mind you are doing so well with your lipids (cholesterol etc) and more than likely your B/P is just fine.

For this above unsolicited information you can send me a stimulus check for $600....cause I ain't got one from your president yet.

Mimi said...

Pat, I probably misstated the doctor's reaction to my chol. levels--I think I expressed chagrin that the numbers were not as good as in February and she said they're okay. As for the BP machine, maybe I'll get one eventually, but I don't want to at this point. I definitely don't want to check it twice a day; seems to me that's unhealthy in itself (for me, maybe not for others--each to his own).
Sorry, but that means you don't get the $600 check. Don't fret, Dubya will send it eventually and you can buy a tank of gas--maybe.

iloveac said...

Rosemary dahlink,
Those recommendations are not mine...they are recomended by the AHA. If B/P is not regularly checked .....you have no way of knowing if the med you take is working. Check ups at the MD ofc are not enough. I will get off your case, but it seems you are so good about healthy eating, I'd think you would want the whole story.
I suggested twice a day til you next see your MD. Once she says OK.....then once a day or every few days is OK....NOT AT THE SUPERMARKET.
We nurses never give up do we?

Mimi said...

Hey, Pat, I admire your tenacity! My philosophy is: If you're passionate about something, go after it, kicking and screaming until you're dead and for three days after that. I bet this discussion will come up again and thanks for your interest.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...