Thursday, May 15, 2008

My new friend, Joan, stopped for me along with her dog, Keeper, and we took a nice walk, partly along the "river." I put that in quotes because there's no water in the "river." Trees grow in it, in fact, which seems to be a peculiarity of California.
I mentioned to Joan that I had taken a bus to the shopping center and she kindly offered to drop me off there on her way home to Orange County. We left about 11:15 and I spent a pleasant afternoon.
For Mother's Day, Ellen had given me the promise of sharp kitchen knives, as mine are as dull as Dubya's brain. I went to Linens 'n' Things (or whatever cutesy way they spell it) and found a set of two: a paring knife and "chef's knife," a kind of mini-cleaver. Ellen has one and it's so efficient and easy to use, I bought the set and she'll reimburse me.
Spent an hour or so in Barnes & Noble, bought a New Yorker, and explored a number of other stores in the center. Really indulging my wild side, I ate lunch out. Had a delectable "Baja"--veggies, rice, and something else with some kind of sauce in a whole wheat wrap. I surprised myself by eating it all and boy, it was good.
Even better was the phone call from Betty just as I took my first bite: Her oldest son, Wes, and wife, Katie, have welcomed their second daughter into the world--happy day! All are doing fine; baby's name is TBA.
After lunch, I went out to wait for the bus--and waited and waited and waited for roughly 30 minutes. Finally decided to start walking. I figured it was seven or eight miles--I've gone on hikes longer than that--but I had gone only two or three when the bus came. Just as I boarded, brother Frank called from Alameda. I was delighted to hear that he and Marybeth, as well as their son, Patrick, and his wife, Susan, all plan to come to our fiftieth anniversary party. We continued talking while I got off the bus and until I had almost completed the mile or so to Ellen's.
When El got home, we had dinner, then I helped her trim some laminated "books" her third-graders had made (don't ask), and we chatted about our respective days. Carolyn called; she and Claire will be here about 10:00--am so looking forward to having her.
Called Pat--Alison was out for a walk--and got the big news that our bluebirds are back in the birdhouse! Guess the mystery of why they left and abandoned their eggs on the ground will never be solved. A. called back later and said things are fine in Little Egg.
That quote, "God's in his heaven, all's right with world" occurred to me yesterday. Seems appropriate.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...