Thursday, May 01, 2008

After our walk, got my oil changed, then kept my doctor's appointment at 11:15. Doc thinks the bump on my thumb isn't serious, but wants me to get an x-ray. I'm due for a blood test (to check how my cholesterol is after cutting my statin dosage) and I'm waiting to go Lab Corps now. Hope to be the first one in because I hate going without my coffee in the morning. I told the doctor about my upcoming trip and got a prescription for Ativan. However, she made them only one milligram, so I'll have to double the dose and maybe add another half besides.
I was surprised and concerned that my BP was up both times the nurse took it. It's never been that high since I started monitoring it. First number was 150 and 149; can't remember the second, but it was high, too. Later, I took it at Acme and it was 121/74 with a pulse rate of 67.
While Pat was at the bay, I spent an hour or so planting, weeding, and tending to my new vegetation. I got the watermelon and sunflower seeds in, so the only things left are the double daffodil bulbs. Must plant them soon. I loved trundling my new "wheelbarrow" down to the back forty--so convenient to carry everything with me.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I hope you are kidding about doubling your dose of ativan. The usual dose is 0.5 mg. With your wgt loss I would think that would be quite adequate for you. Be careful. Two and a half mgs would knock you on your little butt. Go easy...start low.

Your elevated B/P was probably related to being at the doctor's office. However, those super market/drug store monitors are not reliable because no one calibrates them on a regular basis. Ask the pharmacist or manager how often they calibrate the ones where you go.

Mimi said...

I thought the usual dose was 2. My old prescription was for 2 mg--and I took one and a half. Worked like a charm--that is, knocked me for a loop. If I double the dose, do you think it would be dangerous? I read somewhere that it takes 6 mgs. to kill you--I think.
Thanks for the tip about the Acme BP machine. However, I took it frequently at my friend's and that was pretty low, too.

iloveac said...

RBM,
I feel certain the doctor prescribed the smaller pill because of your decreased body wgt.
Yes, many patients who are being treated for anxiety get larger doses. Pre-op patients get more as well.
I'm assuming (not good to assume Patricia) you are taking it to be relaxed for the flight.
If that is correct you probably will do fine with half of the 1 mg tablet. Unless you are driving...take a half before you leave home and you can take the other half in one hour. If you still feel antsy in another hour...take another half. Total=one and a half.
You're probably fine taking the whole pill and maybe you want to do that.....but I doubt you'll have to take any more than that. In four hours or so you can repeat if necessary.
I know I am conservative with meds, but you should do fine with the one mg tablet....
Hope that makes sense.
Sometimes when I'm really stressed out I need the larger dose, but I am much larger in body size than little ole Rosemary.

Mimi said...

I never take any medication, anti-anxiety drug or whatever, when I'm stressed--only to combat my extreme terror when I fly. I have at least 20 tablets left over from other flights and, yes, there are times when I'm strung out, all right, but it never occurs to me to take them. That isn't to say I feel the slightest disapproval for others who do; any way you can get through life more easily, I'm all for. The problem is, I need to be alert and on my toes to do what I do. Guess my lovely little glass of wine at night keeps me happy.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...