Saturday, July 07, 2007

I was prepared for a gain at Weight Watchers, but glory be, I lost .8! That's only eight tenths of a pound, and I didn't quite make it down to the 170's, but I know I will before too long. Total pounds off: 18.6; weight: 181.
Just said goodbye to Larry (5:50 am). His plane leaves at 9:00 from Philly, so he should get there in plenty of time. He was here for a week, just the right length of time for a house guest, I think. We always enjoy having him, as he's my brother, but also Pat's longtime friend.
Yesterday, Larry wanted to go to Camden to tour the battleship New Jersey, but I decided not to. He was leaving early and I had told Leslie I'd pick her up for WW at 9:00. I didn't want to leave Pat alone another full day and I don't have a lot of interest in battleships, anyway. We figured he'd be back in late afternoon and we agreed to go to the movies then.
Did a lot of chores, including several loads of wash. Went to Tucker Tom's Produce and got broccoli and strawberries. Put hot dogs and beans in the crockpot. Pat went to the bay and I stopped down there on my way to the store. Larry got back in about 3:30--he had an enjoyable day and I'm glad I didn't share it--and we drove to Shore Mall in plenty of time for the 4:30 showing of Michael Moore's "Sicko."
Don't miss it! It's not as partisan as his other movies (of course, his partisan is my partisan), and is harder-hitting because of it. All right, he's rude, he's crude, he's a big, fat millionaire in a dirty baseball cap, but he's telling it straight. Maybe my legion of readers don't understand what it is to suffer because they're unable to afford a doctor or hospital, but they will after this. Keep in mind, as Moore tells us early on, he doesn't focus on people who don't have health insurance, but mainly on those who do. (Full disclosure: Pat and I spend roughly $12,000 a year on medical expenses, including medicare, supplemental insurance, prescriptions, and so on--and we're lucky!)
I won't outline the whole movie, but want to mention what struck me with a bo-in-g of recognition: the conservative outcry of "socialized medicine" every time universal, non-employer-based health coverage is discussed. Hey, fellas and girls, as Moore points out, why don't we cringe about the other socialized services we all take for granted: police and fire personnel, public schools, road maintenance and so on? The movie makes you think, all right--and it ought to make you sick.
I'm sorry to write I got a letter yesterday with bad news: Jimmy and Fay Rodolfo have both died, he on May 30, she on June 24. Who were they? The founders and long-time heads of the Dionne Quintuplet Collectors' Club, of which I've been a member for years. Jim was quadraplegic, Fay paraplegic. They were remarkable people (I met Fay at the 2004 "Quinvention" and have spoken to Jim on the phone), so much more worthy of admiration and emulation than the idiot celebs equally idiotic fans moon over.
Must run out and get Joely's present before the party today. Yoicks, I said I'd bring a salad, too, and I need to get a few more ingredients. It should be a fun day!

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Well you know I totally agree with you and MM. His message is 'right on'....he may look shabby but so did that guy Jesus Christ to many people of the day.
Glad you and Pat had a good visit with Larry. I think I would have skipped the battleship as well.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...