Saturday, July 14, 2007

Aside from a few bright spots, yesterday was somewhat of a bummer. To begin with, the doorbell rang at 8:37 am. It was the cleaners, all ready to storm in and take over the house. Of course, it was much too early, Pat was in the middle of breakfast, and I hadn't even sat down yet. I told them they'd have to come back no earlier than 10:30 (they usually come about then). I know they had other customers who are not chronically ill, so they just have to service them first.
Here's the difficulty with the cleaning service: I don't want them to come late, because I don't want to wait around inside all day. However, if they come too early, Pat doesn't have time to wash, shave, and dress after breakfast. As he did yesterday, he sits in the car while they're here, usually falling asleep. Then it's much later than usual when he's dressed and ready to face the day.
They came back, I skulked outside (talking to Betty on the phone), and they finally finished and left. When I went to make tea for Pat's lunch, I was annoyed to find that the porcelain canister where I keep teabags had several large chips on the edge of the lid. They weren't there yesterday and I was all set to call the service and fire up a rant about it.
But wait a minute, hold on...I got those canisters for a few bucks at a yard sale in Margate when we were renting Betty's house. What would Theresa, the young mother who runs the cleaning service, do about it, anyway? Should I demand some kind of compensation? They're hardly family heirlooms, so I decided the hell with it--when I turn the chipped part to the wall, you can't see them and I'm just going to forget about it.
Had to go back to Reynolds to exchange something, got all the way home and found the saleswoman hadn't removed the security thingy, so drove all the way back, a sixteen-mile round trip, fuming.
Got beef stew beef pieces out for dinner, but didn't have time to do them in the crock pot, so put them in gravy on the stove and they turned out tough.
In other words, it was just one of those days when nothing seems to go right.
Later, though, things brightened: Alison called and told me she and Mike will race in Holmdel on Thursday, they'll take Joely who will again run in the kiddie race. I decided to join them (well, no, not to race, just to watch), so she'll e-mail me directions; I'm looking forward to it.
Then Mike called on the computer about 8:30 pm, and we again enjoyed talking--and seeing!--precious Vivian, who told us what day it was (Saturday for them) and that Saturday was shopping day. She was going with Mommy to the store, then she was going to a birthday party. Her hair's getting longer and it was great fun while we talked to see Mommy trying to braid it--unsuccessfully, because squirmy Vivian didn't want it braided--and to see her interact with Daddy, who's putty in her hands.
Okay, I slept well, too, so no more complaining.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

I've told our cleaning service not to come before a certain time. They've tried to change it, but I don't.
Also when things are broken (two, so far) they readily tell me the company has insurance, but some things can't be replaced. I asked them to tell me when something drops or whatever, so we can fix it...rather than me discovering it. I don't like that. I'd have been ticked about my porcelain cannister if like you, I found it that way. Guess it's best to forget about it for now...but you might want to tell them to let you know if something breaks.

What kind of security do you have in NJ stores? The only things I see here are plastic that can be cut off. You all are really into this homeland security big time.

At least you finished the day with precious Vivian and that made it a good day.

Mimi said...

The next time they come, I am going to point out to the cleaners the chipped canister, as you suggested. I know the service has insurance, but I think this is too piddling to try to get some kind of reimbursement. I'd feel guilty about trying it, anyway. I don't want to get the cleaners in trouble, I just want to impress on them to be careful. Our kitchen is full of hard surfaces: Corian on the counters and ceramic tile on the floor, so things break easily--and sometimes shatter--if they're dropped or otherwise mishandled.
As for the security in Jersey--this wasn't anything special, just the plastic. I called first and was told I could take it off with a screwdriver, but it might damage the dress, so I preferred to have them do it.

EBJ said...

My cleaning lady ,who works independently sets up a time with me than calls me to change it! This happens almost every time she is scheduled. I usually just tell her to come whenever. I wait for her and than I go out. I don't care so much but, she does the same thing to Carolyn and it becomes a problem with Claire's naps and all. She usually comes over to my house. She does a great job so we keep her.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...