Saturday, July 28, 2007

After a phone chat with Betty, ran over to Boscov's to get a toilet seat cover to match the three new bathroom rugs I bought elsewhere. All are black, believe it or not, but should look tre chic in the master bath. I stopped in the children's department and couldn't resist two little "onesies" for baby Tristan, soon to be born. One is pale blue and says "Drool is Cool" and the other is--incredibly--black and says "Handsome Devil" in firey letters.
After getting home, virtuous little wifie that I am, I ironed Pat's shirt and some of my tops. We're taking Dennis and Leslie to dinner tonight and I guess should be reasonably presentable.
As Pat was in the hall preparing to leave for the bay and I was in the kitchen, a large dark creature startled us by scooting across the room. It was a mouse--ugh! It went in the laundry room from whence, I fervently hope, it eventually escaped to the outside. That's what we get for practically living in the woods.
Last night, I attended the annual meeting of the Ventnor Historical Society, of which I'm a member. There weren't a lot of people there--about 30, I guess--but I spoke to George Wimberg and Monica Degnan, a friend of my brother, Jim's. Two women who introduced themselves as Gloria Brown and Jeanette Adams came up to remind me we used to play together. I pretended I did, but have absolutely no memory of either of them; Betty probably does.
I did, however, instantly recognize somebody I haven't seen for roughly 60 years: Madelaine (I think that's misspelled) Dougherty and her brother, Joe. We chatted for a bit and I found she lives in the same house she did when we went to St. James. I know she's a few years older; am not sure if she graduated with brother Frank or went to A.C.H.S. Joe may have been a cop in Ventnor--I think one of her brothers had been.
The speaker was pretty good, but he came from Pitney Village and went to Atlantic High and much of his talk featured A.C. and A.C.H.S., rather than Ventnor. I was sorry to have missed a call from Patrick on the cell, but it came in the middle of the guy's talk and I was sitting directly in front of him.
Didn't get home until after 9:00 or to bed until almost 11:00. I had seen Susan and told her I might not be up in time for our walk, and I wasn't! I actually didn't get up until 7:15!

5 comments:

EBJ said...

I do remember Gloria and Jeanette. Gloria was a good friend of Hazel's. She lived on Lafayette's ave. Jeanette was friends with Hazel later.
she lived near her in the Heights about 30-40 years ago. They had some kind of falling out and are no longer friends. Life.

EBJ said...

I forgot to talk about Madelaine. She was a nurse at AC when I worked there. Did she ever marry? Her brother was a cop in Ventnor for years.

Mimi said...

I'm not sure, but I don't think Madelaine ever married. Forgot she was a nurse. Also not sure if the brother she was with was the cop, but according to Pat, that brother left under a cloud or some kind.
As for Gloria and Jeannette, they came together and sat together at the meeting, then both came up to me, so I'm pretty sure they're friendly again. Both are considerably overweight, especially Jeannette.

iloveac said...

Hey girlfriend you better not write on your blog after you see me that I am considerably overweight. I want you to say something like 'Pat is amazingly slim and not one line on her face'. Lie if you have to...or just tell the truth that I am amazingly slim....then see your ophthalmologist ASAP.

Betty, I remember Madeleine Doughterty. She was part of that crowd at AC Hospital we spoke of earlier. Her father was a friend of my father..my father lived in Ventnor with his first wife and my older brother Frank who also knew and spoke of Chalie Doughterty. I don't know details,but I'll ask my brother Frank (your brother Jim's peer).

As far as mice....ugh! Grew up with them and their awful mouse traps.

I don't want to live on the water with the rats, or in the woods with ticks and mice, or in Florida with the Palmetto huge flying roaches...I guess I better stay here with spiders, crickets and other unknowns weird creatures that can make their way into my house..ugh..ugh.

Mimi said...

Let's make a pact: We swear on our sacred treadmills that we will not notice any fat, flab, or flesh with wrinkles no matter how hard we scrutinize each other.
And Pat, whatta you got ta worry about? You're the kid of the group!

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...