Sunday, July 22, 2007

Had a ball yesterday with Joely. Mike had another botany class, a field trip this time, and would be out until dinnertime, so Alison brought him down. They got here about noon and we packed a lunch, then headed to the pool on foot. Joely can't swim yet and even the low end is over his head, but Alison brought "swimmies" (J. laughed when I called them that), inflated things that go on his upper arm. He also used a "noodle."
He just loves the pool. He was in from the time we got there, out for ten minutes to eat, then back in until he was forced out at 3:00 (children can't stay past then).
Joely is now a real chatterbox. He charmed the other residents, paddling around--even to the deep end and back--and pointing out that the foot marker on the side of the pool was the same as he was old: "5." He told me he wanted to move here and when I said he could in fifty years, he nodded seriously and said, "Okay." I was charmed myself when Alison was mistaken for Joely's mother and I for his grandmother. I always enjoy the surprise when I tell them I'm actually grandmother to Joely's father.
The only untoward thing that happened was this: The night before last, I noticed a slight soreness on the bottom of my foot, looked at it and saw what I believed to be a planter's wart. It was mostly off, but hanging on by the edge. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so thought I'd ask her for a referral to the podiatrist. However, when we were all in the pool, I casually showed Alison and, experienced outdoorsperson that she is, she said, "That's a tick." Ugh! It was! She plucked it off, got out of the pool, and dropped it on the other side of the fence. She thought she had gotten the whole thing and I thought that was the end of it, but the spot is now red and sore. I'll show it to the doctor tomorrow.
After we hauled the little water boy out of the pool, we went home and dressed, then took him to the playground, and he and A. went home from there. A. said they might run again in Wall on Thursday; if so, I'll drive up to join them again.
Made pork chops for Pat, portabello mushrooms for me, then enjoyed a web cam call from Vivian and her Dad. She drew us several pictures, including of Daddy and a pool with water, then left for a time to have toast for breakfast. When she came back, she told us about her third birthday party coming up next Sunday, the invitation to which 25 of her closest friends have accepted.
Really nice day and I hope we can do it again before long.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Twenty five of her closest friends...love it.

Hope you're soaking that foot so the inflammation will stay localized...don't want any infection setting up.
How on earth did you get a tick?

Yesterday, I set my coffee mug on the counter and when I went back to take a sip.....a bug was already in it sipping away. Have no idea how he got there, must have flown in.

Were you walking barefoot outside? Good thing Alison checked.

Joely's at my favorite age....they love life and want to share their love of it with everyone. Hope you get him back to visit real soon. Maybe he can come when his Great-Aunt Betty comes to visit.

Mimi said...

Pat, I have no idea how I could have gotten the tick. I never go barefoot, even in the house. Maybe it got in my sock and slipped down--dunno.
I'm wondering about Lyme disese, of course--glad I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...