Friday, July 20, 2007

Good day yesterday. I picked Leslie up at 9:30 and we motored off to Weight Watchers. Got my good news, enjoyed the lecture, and got home about 11:00 to have breakfast (yes, late, but I don't like to eat first).
Found myself low on veggies--heaven forfend--so drove over to M & M on the Black Horse Pike, another produce store. Built up my supply with two each of acorn and butternut squash, mango and avocado, lemons, and yet more broccoli and blueberries. I ate "dinner" (half a big acorn sq., broccoli, and the whole avocado, squirted with fresh lime juice--yum!) at 4:00, topping it off with a big piece of cantaloupe and a half cup or so of berries.
After a shower, I left for Wall Township about 5:00 and had no problem getting there in about 45 minutes. Alison and Joely arrived shortly after and the kiddy race started at 6:30. This was informal, and included children who looked to be about 5 (Joely's age) up to 8 or 9. They ran a half mile and a number of adults ran with the younger ones, as Alison did. Joely finished in what I guess was good time, 4 something minutes on the running clock they had set up. The kids all got medals and Joely was very proud. He asked if he could exchange the one with a red ribbon for "an American flag one" (red, white, and blue ribbon) and the racemaster obliged.
By then, it started to rain and we left. (Alison decided not to run the adult three-miler herself, as she wasn't properly equipped.) Rode through tremendous rainstorms almost the whole way home, to find it only drizzled a bit in Little Egg. Got in about 8:00 after an very enjoyable day.
Jen said she'd let me know if Joely can come down tomorrow. If so, Alison will join us, as Mike has a botany class. Hope so!

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I think it's fun to watch those little kids get excited with the race.
Last week I noticed several medals in our Trevor's bedroom, but he didn't think it was such a big thing like I did when I saw them. Made me wonder if giving every kid a medal is the best thing...value goes down. Maybe they give a trophy to the winner and a medal to all participants. Not sure.

'forfend'....I'll have to look that one up.

Hope you get Joely today.

Mimi said...

Pat,
You know, it may have been called a "run," rather than a race. The age range was so wide (there's a huge difference between 5-year-olds and 9-year-olds) that it wouldn't have made sense to have it a real race.
It does always seem to be a dilemma--whether to try not to make kids feel inadequate or whether to reward actual winners. I don't think this was an actual race, partly because they really didn't all start at the same time--some were a few feet behind the others, and so on. The more I think of it, the more I think it was simply a run and the kids got medals for completing it.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...