Monday, July 16, 2007

After my usual morning chores, I went to Reynolds again to look for a bathing suit. Tried on a few, all of which were hideous and negated my 21-pound weight loss, so I bought bedding: a comforter, bed skirt, and shams. I need them like a hole in the head, but they were a steal and at least I didn't buy another sheet set. I alternate three sets and have another in the package I haven't even opened.
I stopped at the Manahawkin Flea Market across from Reynolds and bought corn on the cob, tomatoes, and cantaloupe from the people who actually grew them.
When I got home, Pat said Dennis had called to say he'd like to change our furnace (or AC) filter this morning. Yoicks, I didn't have another filter and I had just been in Manahawkin, so I ranted and raved a bit, but decided to drive back to Home Depot and get one.
Mind you, we don't pay Dennis to do things like this. Of course, we paid when he and Bill did the work in the study, but the other kindnesses of his are just because he knows neither Pat nor I can do it. The filter is up in the area--attic? crawl space?--over the garage and you have to pull down the ladder to access it. As Dennis pointed out, for an over-55 community, some of the inconveniences of ordinary maintenance are infuriating.
On the way back from the big city, I stopped at Calloway's, a restaurant we often frequent. Somebody had given Pat a gift certificate for forty dollars for his seventy-fifth birthday 17 months ago and he was never able to use it. It says it's good for only a year, but the owner said I could use it anytime--"until 2010, if you want"--so nice of him.
Thought I might go to the pool, but decided not to and just got house chores caught up.
Ellen called and as ever, we talked for a long time. I'm always very interested in her work and we discussed her upcoming combo second/third class. I told her Larry and I had seen "Sicko" and remarked that she didn't have to worry about medical bills, as she's well covered. Oh yeah?! She reminded me that she has a two thousand dollar deductible; things that were covered in full a year ago now have a huge negative impact on her pocketbook.
I'll repeat what somebody wrote: That the best government does the most good for the most number of people. Is ours the best government? Why, sure: Most Americans are billionaire heads of corporations, so yes, yes, goverment is doing the most good for the most people.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...