Thursday, April 19, 2007

Pat and I were planning to go to the DMV yesterday to renew his license, a process now a major hassle in this benighted state. You have to go in person and bring several forms of identification. I had gotten his from the safety deposit box and gone there the other day to be sure we had everything. We were going to go after lunch, but Pat didn't feel well and I suggested we wait. He agreed, and promptly fell asleep (in the living room) until almost 5:00. I'm still a little concerned, although he seems okay now (okay for him, that is). On May 8, he'll have yet another cancerous growth removed, this time from his arm. Poor Pat, there's just no end to his medical problems.
Talked to Betty in the morning and Alison in the evening--always good to touch base with them. Told Betty about my newly-bought tablecloth, a beautiful shade of yellow with tulips kind of impressed into it. It will pick up some of the flowers on my summer tableware (yes, I change with the seasons). It was creased from being folded and packed, so I took it to the cleaners to be pressed. I always do this with tablecloths, lazy slut that I am, and I don't care who knows it. (After all, I wash them myself.)
For our little dinner party tonight, I'm serving pork roast, parsley rice, baked potatoes, peas with mushrooms, and applesauce. For the wine, I have both Merlot and Pinot Grigio; Susan's bringing dessert. I don't like to have very elaborate stuff for appetizers, so will just put out Goldfish crackers and grapes.
Hey, guess what topic I've gotten interested in? Oops--scratch that and substitute, "Guess what topic in which I've gotten interested?" Oh, the hell with it! It's Elvis Presley, that's what--or who. Have been listening to his biography in the car, and now have borrowed some CDs of his music. He seemed a kind of boy-man, childish and petulant in many ways, but as most people are, full of complexities and nuances.
People, in all their variety, are endlessly fascinating to me. One of the ancients wrote, "The proper study of mankind is man" and I think that covers it.
Flash! I'm going back to Weight Watchers this morning. Leslie and I decided to go and I'll pick her up for the 10:00 meeting. Will report the bad news tomorrow--uh oh, wrong attitude. Am delighted that I'll be back in the groove and am looking forward to following the program. (Yeah, uh-huh, sure I am.)

3 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

That is quite a hassle to get your license. I'm doing mine on line, never did it before. Seasonal tableware, now that is something different, No I'm not going to try it. Do you have the room to store four sets? I hope your dinner party goes well, the menu sounds delicious. Your being a little harsch on yourself, what is wrong with being lazy. ELVIS PRESLEY, Now that is my kind of music.

Mimi said...

Dee, I should have written "my warm weather tableware." I have only two sets, but yes, I also have a full Christmas set and some Thanksgiving ones, plus lots of other dishes. When we bought this house (less than 4 years ago), we "upgraded" to 42-inch cabinets and we have quite a lot of them, so I have no problem with finding room.

iloveac said...

Dear Pearl Mesta,

Roast Pork is my absolute favorite. Wish I were there.

Seasonal ware...hmmm. A couple of yrs ago I bought some new Oneida flatware, my neighbor couldn't believe I only wanted service for 4. No one else eats here, and if they do I have enough utensils from earlier times.

I often look at the Waterford that I just HAD to have because all my girlfriends got WATERFORD .....and I have never used all of it....hardly any of it. I keep saying I'm going to start using the good dishes for us...there are enough for 12 even with demi tasse which we'll never use.

If I was a good cook I might invite people over for dinner. I'm not a bad cook, but not much variety. I guess I could have it catered.

I was never an Elvis fan, but I did like his music.
Just like James Dean never did anything for me and yet one of my classmates cried and cried when he died. I'd never seen 'Rebel without a cause' and noticed it was on the other night so I DVR'd it and will watch it this w/e.
Have a great time with your dinner party.

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...