Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Talked to Betty and she sounds good--actually better than she did after her bleeding episode last month. She was up and walking after the surgery and had friends with her. Brother Larry called to get the latest info on her. So did Mary H. and Muckie and I was happy to tell them she's recovering well.
Instead of going to Bocov's, I took Pat to the DMV in Manahawkin to get his license. Before that, I made the Crystal Pickles and froze them. After, I spent 45 minutes or so weeding and cleaning out the front flower bed. I've got about a third done and will continue today, finding it much less of a chore if I break it down into increments. I put my gardening gloves and tools on what we call the porch (actually a front walk and "apron" area) so I can pick them up and work on it when I have some spare time.
Last night, I made the mistake of attending a "Friends of the Library" meeting--never again. Carol S., another Sun Rise Bayer and new member, was there and we sat together. This was a monthly meeting open to the membership and the public, and the room was set up with about fifty chairs, but she and I and three others were the only attendees. The 7 officers and the branch manager were at a long table in front. The minutes of the last meeting were approved without being read and the officers discussed upcoming programs for children and teens. They then asked for "new business," of which they had none, and I raised my hand.
According to their information piece, the mission of the "Friends" is to support programs and activities for children, teens, and senior citizens in Little Egg. I asked in a mild and courteous manner what programs for seniors were being planned. The response was an incredible outpouring of defensiveness, fury, and invective. The officers all angrily disputed the idea that older people in Little Egg would come out for anything, insisted I didn't understand the area, and made me to understand that I was stepping way out of line by even asking the question. The situation wasn't made any better by Carol chiming in to push a pet idea of hers: movies for seniors. I don't necessarily support the notion that older people will be drawn to the library to see movies, but I sympathized when the angry tirade she endured matched mine.
I was just floored by the vehemence of their response. Incidentally, all these people are senior citizens themselves. They look as if they range in age from about upper 60's to 80's.
Well the hell with it, as my friend, Doris, used to say (emphasis on the "with it." That's the last I'll go to the unfriendly Friends--think I'll write them an snippy letter, too.
Today, I'm going to a meeting for the models in the upcoming Woman's Club luncheon and fashion show, but before that, I want to run over to Boscov's to get those sneaks. My old ones are practically falling off my feet and I have the Walk America five-miler coming up on Sunday.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

I definitely think a letter of dismay is in order here. I'm surprised you could keep your cool....I probably would have let them know I didn't apprciate their downright hostility and walked out. Snippy letter a must emphasizing the 'unfriendliness' of the so called friends.
As I recall you had bad vibes when you went last month, but you gave it a second chance.

In contrast, the models meeting will probably be lots of fun.

Do you think you can get one of those 'clips' or whatever it was that Alison had in her shoe in the Boston Marathon? That way we could follow you in the AC Walk.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...