Monday, April 23, 2007

Had a good talk with Betty. I'm confident, and so is she, that she'll be okay. Of course, we're both still nervous about it; even assuming a good outcome, this is major surgery. I'll call Carolyn about 4:00 our time. That's an hour into the operation and I don't expect it to be over, but want to touch base, then will call again later. I'll add any new information to today's post.
I seem to spend a lot of time in stores. Yesterday, I went to a shoe store in Manahawkin to buy sneakers. I couldn't find a single pair that fit right and didn't look as if they belonged to a basketball player. Forget the spike heels if you want to add height: These sneaks all have such thick soles you can practically look in second-story windows. They also cost what you'd expect to pay for a ball gown. Think I'll go over to Boscov's and look for my good old Keds.
As requested, here's the recipe for Crystal Pickles:
1 quart (4 or 5) small (Kirby) cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp. salt
3 cups sugar
1 cup white vinegar
Mix together first 3 ingredients and let stand for 2 hours in refrigerator.
Drain well.
Add sugar and vinegar. Mix well. Mixture will be very sugary. The juice should cover the cukes. Put into containers and freeze for a few days. Thaw and serve.
It's that simple. I keep individual containers in the freezer and just take one out on the morning of a lunch or dinner to defrost (more liquid usually has to be drained off). You can serve these anytime, but I think they're especially good accompanying summer meals (in addition to the banana bread you already have in the freezer).

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Thank you for the recipe...already copied it and now to print it.

I'm looking forward to making them.

My feet look like Frankenstien's when I wear those 'walking' shoes. I have BIG feet (and no I won't say how big) and I hate to wear them.

First thing is to get Betty thru this surgery OK, which I think will be fairly easy IF they can do it thru the laparoscope which they are planning to do. If they have to resort to the 'open' procedure...recovery will be longer.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...