Tuesday, April 17, 2007

They made it!
Alison and Mike both successfully completed the Boston Marathon, having run 4 hours and 33 minutes and 4 hours, 1 minute, respectively. (The winners came in at 2:14 and 2.29.) We were able to track them throughout the race by way of the BAA web site and e-mail alerts. Alison called about 5:00, elated at their accomplishment. She said her time was actually a half-hour slower than her "personal best," but she didn't care in the least. It turned out that, after all the frantic bulletins and hand-wringing, the weather wasn't bad. The rain slowed and later stopped, and it was warmer than expected. Alison talked to me, then to her Dad. They'll start home today, tired and sore, but elated. Only hitch was that she fell over a marker and got a small cut on her face, but--of course--got up and continued running. That's my girl!
Good friend Leslie called to find out how they did--what a sweetie.
Earlier, I had a nice long chat with Betty. Her surgery is scheduled a week from yesterday (April 23) and I think she's ready for it--not sure I am, though.
It was raining and windy in the morning, so Susan and I did the "Walk Away the Pounds" three-miler at the clubhouse. It felt good to use the weights again. Later, I went to Home Depot and picked out the pulls for the study built-ins. Dennis will actually buy them (it's part of the cost), but he wanted me to get some to show him, then I'll return them.
Our oven is acting up. On advice I found on the Internet, I bought a thermometer and set it at 350; after 45 minutes, it had risen to only 300. Must need to be re-calibrated. Pat got the book out and, I hope, will fix it today. Otherwise, I'll have to make something in the crockpot for our little dinner party on Thursday.
Have a doctor's appointment today at 9:45 (I assume she'll put me on Lipatore) and Pat has one at 11:00 at the podiatrist's.
Later: I can't seem to get into my "comments" section of an earlier post, so will answer Pat's questions here: 1. Not sure what A. and M. wore for the marathon; will catch up with her again soon; 2. I think the boots for "Eyes Wide Open" were assembled orginally by an organization formed for that. Our group will be picking them up in Newark. The Friends web site has more info on this. 3. Now I can't remember if you had other queries--sorry!

3 comments:

EBJ said...

Great job by Alison and Mike!
I'll send them an email.
I'm not so sure I am ready for the OR.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Alison and Mike!!

iloveac said...

I thought I already posted congrats, but don't see it here. Anyhow...BIG TIME KUDOS to Alison and Mike....just to have finished means you are winners. Take those soggy clothes off and CELEBRATE.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...