Tuesday, April 03, 2007

BINGO--I found Sister Gabriel!
It took only about 10 minutes: I called Notre Dame, where the secretary didn't have a clue, but suggested I call Mount St. Mary in Watchung, the Mercy headquarters (Mother House?). I did, and was directed to an archivist nun. When I identified myself with my name and having graduated from HSHS in '54, she said she was an HSHS grad of '53! It was Sr. Elizabeth (Betty) O'Hara, whom I remember slightly; she's from Star of the Sea parish. We had a great time chatting--it seems she attends the class of '53's annual get-together in Frank Marandino's backyard. Frank M. was a good friend of my brother, Frank's, when they went to St. James. Sister is still very friendly with Margie Costello and Nancy Keebler. Members of her large family went to HSHS with all the McGurks, too, and I think one of them married a McGurk.
Anyway, Sr. Gabriel is a "Mercy Associate" which is why, I guess, they still have her information. Sr. O'Hara e-mailed me her name, address, and I'll forward it to you three grads I think are reading this.
(It's interesting how the mind works: I mentioned that I thought Sr. Gabriel's birth name was something like "Throckmorton"--it's actually "Thornton," almost a contraction of "Throckmorton.")
Had dinner with Viv last night at Calloway's and had a great time. In case anybody forgot, Viv is my Wellspouse friend whose husband has very aggressive MS and can move only one arm. He's writing a book (has an editor and everything) about this horrid experience.
Viv applied for a new job at Pinelands Regional H.S. right here in Little Egg (that's where we donated the scholarship and I borrowed the A.V. equipment). Hope she gets it, as she'd then be off when school is. She asked me to go with her to the Wellspouse dinner meeting in North Jersey next Tuesday, which I will. (Okay, senior moment--oh, I hate that stupid cliche--I forgot exactly where, but it's about an hour away.)
I called Muckie about finding Sr. Gabriel and had a good talk. She remembers Betty O'Hara well, and is also friendly with Margie C. and Nancy K. (maiden names).
Stand by to get Sr. Gabriel's address! (Well, if you read your e-mail before turning to my blog, you already did.)

3 comments:

EBJ said...

Good work Mimi. I always liked Sr. Gabriel and I can not say that about too many other of those "Holy Women",who tried to teach me.

iloveac said...

Yes, I already read your email and was thrilled you found her. You are too much....you must have worked for Sherlock in another lifetime.
Anyhow, I've sent you a copy of the email I've written to her. I hope her health is good enough for her to travel. If she can...we could all meet with her...you, me Betty (assuming she'd be visiting NJ in Aug), Muckie, Dee and anyone else.
Thanks so much Rosemary...you made my day!

I, too, hate that senior moment cliche....what was it...oh I forget.

Broke me up (a '57 phrase) when I saw Thornton and you'd remembered Throckmorton.

I agree with EBJs comment too. Sr Gabriel was one of a very few.

You did good girl!

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary, I agree with everyone, I loved Sr Gabriel. She was the epitamy of patience, I must have driven her to leave the teaching profession.(smile) I had to laugh when you said her sire name was "Thorton" That is my GGrandmothers name, Jane Thorton. I'll be eternally greatful for you tracking her down. I hope she can make it to Pat's 50th reunion, she'll be the hit of the party.

Sunday And Susan

A fairly busy morning and lots of contacts--to wit: --Former tenant, Susan, texted that she'll be near my house, turn on the outside wat...