Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Got the dining room table cleared of the hundreds of photos--unfortunately, I don't have them in order, but at least packed them in shoebox-sized containers and put them in the garage. (Yes, I'm back-sliding, but I swear I'm going to turn my attention to them again when I have time...I am, I am....)
Darling Dennis came over to discuss the built-ins. He had earlier proposed that we have a high piece (like a bookcase, but deeper, for the printer, fax machine, and so on) on the end that would start above the heat register. However, he's now concerned about it not being anchored properly, so wants to move the register to the ceiling and start the piece on the floor. It's a lot more work for Bill and him (he insists it's no big deal), but there's no extra charge and we enthusiastically agreed. I was happy to hear him repeat he'll bring over a final sketch before they start. He'll order the appropriate pieces today, but it will take up to four weeks for them to come in.
Had (bought made up) sweet and sour chicken for dinner and boy, was it delicious. Pat liked it, too--a Little Egg miracle--and we had a good meal.
I've been wanting to break from my routine of plopping down after dinner and watching television with my wine and pretzels--but then, alas, my ice cream or cookies--and have decided to go out somewhere after dinner. Last night, I went to the library and enjoyed just sitting and reading.
The Virginia Tech story is so dreadful. What's weird is that after the media get hold of a horror like that, it turns into something else. It's a show or a story; it's entertainment. It's no longer simply a twisted, sick individual who murders a huge number of innocent students and employees--it becomes a scenario put on for our enjoyment. How quickly--immediately!--the networks came up with a caption: "The Massacre at Virginia Tech" and how smoothly they slide from reruns of "Scrubs" to coverage of the murder scene. Oh, I'm as guilty of anyone else of the voyeurism needed to watch the stuff. Imagine the feelings of their families to have the people they love now be "celebrities" in death.
Another thought: Last night Keith Olberman was courageous enough to make the point that a dreadful number of young people--so very similar in their hopes and dreams to the students at VT--have been killed in the middle east. How is it we don't recoil with the same horror and grief we do for the college shootings? Is it last year's sitcom?

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Grrr, I typed this once and this damm machine froze and I lost it.
Here goes one more time....

I thought the same thing when I saw "The Massacre at Virginia Tech"...the media seems so thrilled to have a lead story to carry them for several days...they make it into a serial. And yes, I, too watch the whole thing....collective guilt here...the producers and the viewers.
Rich told me about Olbermann's comment and we both thought...YES!

Then on another note...I had to listen to my brother ask me if VB is a "Sanctuary City" or not and what's wrong with our mayor. Well the mayor and her husband whom we've met may well be dip-shits, but I have no idea and never heard the term 'sanctuary city' til the other night. My bro proceeded to 'educate' me..I wasn't going to pick up on his love to argue. He started by asking what I thought about the illegal immigrant who killed the young girls here in VB while he was drunk driving. I responded with "you mean the DRUNK DRIVER who killed the young girls". It's as if the drunk driving was a side issue and the fact that he was an 'illegal' was the cause of the driving while drunk. I thought my brother would choke when I ended by saying I don't have all that much problem with illegal immigrants.
I can only get heated up about so many things and that just isn't at the top of my list. Social Justice is. If you want to read more.....my book will be soon be published by www.lulu.com. LOL! Thanks for the space to voice my opinion on YOUR blog.

Mimi said...

Pat, you're welcome to post your thoughts, ideas, rants, and ravings anytime at any length on my blog. I love reading your stuff (and everybody else's in our little group) and will be first in line when the book comes out.
However--please don't wait 'til you publish to tell me what IS "Sanctuary City?" In context, is seems to be--but this is hard to believe--some kind of "sanctuary" for citizens and legal aliens. Is that right? And why is your brother so het up on the subject? This is the one who's so religious, right? Can't understand that. Tell him to re-read the Beatitudes BEFORE he checks the ten commandments.

iloveac said...

From what I understand certain municipalities don't have to report illegal status to immigration authorities. I still don't know if Virginia Beach is one or not and I don't really care.
Didn't a Bishop in CA not long ago tell his flock not to report illegal status? Wonder what happened to him? I don't know enough to have an informed opinion, but sounds oK to me. I agree the Beatitudes need to be put into action and not just memorized.

Monday

Set off for the mall and Target at 10:30. I got some staples (plant milk, blueberries, grapefruit, etc.), but decided to hold off buying the...