Tuesday, April 24, 2007

She's okay!
I talked to Carolyn about 4:15 our time (1:00 theirs) and Betty came through the operation well. I called later in the evening and Carolyn said she was all right, but in a lot of pain; there was a wait for the pain medication to work.
It was such a relief to hear she was all right, I really didn't ask a lot of questions. I know they did take out a portion of the bowel and got the impression the cancer hadn't spread, but I'm not sure about that--or whether they could know yet. Anyway, I'll hear more today.
Muckie called about dinnertime to get the initial news, then I called her back after I talked to Carolyn the second time. Our friends here responded to my e-mail about it with warm wishes--so nice.
Marge called to see if I wanted to go to lunch. Need she ask? Ha, ha, I'm always ready to go to lunch (or anywhere else--I'm a rolling stone). I suggested a new restaurant, the Garlic Grill, in Manahawkin. As we approached, we heard music and when we walked in, our ears were assaulted with an incredible din. We asked to be seated in the separate dining room; otherwise, would not have stayed. They did put us in there--all by ourselves--but we had to ask them to close both doors and turn off the speakers. We both had Caesar salad with shrimp--it was good, but nothing special and I noticed the portion sizes were smaller than at several other places I go. No matter, though. The important thing was being with friend Marge and talking away on every subject under the sun.
After I got home, I galvanized myself to start pulling leftover weeds and dead plants from last year. I wanted to hire somebody to do this scutwork, but it seems impossible around here to get anybody reliable, so I decided to do it myself. I had read somewhere the advice to wait until spring to clear out old plants and weeds, as they're much easily to get out--and yes, that's true, I was happy to see. We also have a lot of dead tree leaves that get stuck in the bushes and are more difficult to remove, but I'm going to continue today in this glorious spring weather.
Note: Apria, the sorry-ass company that delivers Pat's portable oxygen tanks (he uses a concentrator when he's home), didn't get here until after 9:00 last night. We've just about decided to drop them in favor of an outfit in Manahawkin. Of course, this is a big hassle and I have to get a new "script" from his pulmonologist in Absecon. Think I'll drive over there today on my way to Boscov's to get the sneaks and to Macy's to get a breadbox (long story there that I'm sure nobody wants to hear).

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I wish I had your energy.

I have some place/appt. to go each day of the week and I would rather just stay home and do whatever. Just getting dressed is a pain in the butt....and pulling weeds...agh! I'd never get up again from the ground...fortunately our condo association has a lawn service that does the front of the houses. We put white stone in the back yard...requiring no grass mowing ...that's why I need flower boxes for the deck.

I guess I qualify for the label 'lazy ass'....maybe you could bottle some of your enery and send it down here.

I'd go to lunch, but I don't have a Marge.....I'd treasure the kind of person with whom I could just talk about 'every thing under the sun'.....wish you and Muckie lived around here.

Enjoy every minute of it all.

Thanks for the update on Betty. Makes me angry she is in pain. There is NO need for her to be in pain. The anesthesiologist should have given her something to be started for pain relief right after surgery. I hope that's not going to continue. Hopefully today the surgeon will give her something that'll keep her pain free. Grrr. This is 2007 not 1957. Besides telling her it has 'to work' is crap....if they gave it IV it works right away....if they give it in the muscle...that takes about 30 minutes. They should have given it IV.

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary that is wonderful news about Betty. Please send her my love. I agree with Pat that there was no need for her to feel any pain at all. I've had chest surgery with 37 stitches around my back and felt no pain whatsoever. I hope they give her the pain medication when it is due and not make Betty ask for it. By that time she is in pain and will have to wait for it to work. I'm not making myself clear but I think you know what I am saying. I have two friends I can talk about anything and I love it. They have to push us out of a restaurant because we talk too much.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...