Saturday, April 14, 2007

Dennis came over and we nailed down plans for the built-ins in the study. Along one whole wall, he and his partner, Bill, will install shelving, a running desktop, cabinets, and drawers. We have other neighbors who have had this done; it looks great and will keep organized all the mounds of records, files, and other paperwork about which my life revolves, (See? I didn't end with a preposition--aha!)
I chose white cabinets (actually, similar to my kitchen cabinets), with wainscoting on the back wall. There'll be room for the printer, fax machine, and all the other junk I seem no longer to be able to live without. In addition, there will be plenty of shelving for books and pictures. Pat and I think the cost we agreed on is fair--maybe more than fair, but I hope not--and are anxious to see it started.
After the business part of our talk, Dennis and I discussed current affairs, deploring the Imus thing and the scourge of prejudice itself. You can dislike individuals--and oh yeah, there are plenty I find tiresome--but to assume negative traits about people globally is not only immoral, it's stupid.
Talked to Alison last night. She and Mike skipped their usual Friday night hike in order to conserve energy for the race. They're leaving this morning and will stay over in Boston until Tuesday. We're all hoping the predicted storm (Northeaster', blizzard, or who knows what) will stay away. They'll have chips in their running shoes (heaven forbid I should call them "sneaks") and I can track them throughout the race. I only hope, hope, hope the damn storm won't come, that they won't accidentally fall in a manhole, and that they'll finish.
Brother Jim called last night. His daughter, dear niece Chrissy (whose wedding I'll attend next month), either misread "angiography" for "angioplasty" in my previous entry or Jim thought she had said I had had that procedure. Anyway, he called to see how I was--what great sibs I have!
Just ordered three books from Amazon: the newest Dionne quint one, How Doctors Think, and another on what really makes us happy (can't remember the name. but like the concept).
Now I must go and get Pat's morning things out, then pick up Susan for our walk. I slept so late--until 5:45--that I feel I don't have my usual jump on the day. Obsessive? Well, yeah, that could be, but who said I wasn't?

2 comments:

iloveac said...

'Chips' in the running shoes is so cool. I didn't know they had such a thing for the race. Let us know periodically how it's going. Very exciting.

It's probably not unusual for a lay person to see the first part of the word angiography and the brain interpreting it immediately as something they've seen before. Many people do have angioplasty procedures. Only us medical people (of which you are now one) throw terms around like angiography and soft and hard plaque. LOL!

I thought 'boy am I up early ...7:15AM' and you think 5:45AM is late...hmmmm I'm going back to bed. Rain has started here...maybe it'll move out fast...hope, hope.

Dee's Blog said...

Your cabinets for the study sounds really nice, wish I had the room to do something like that. I was thinking of getting the book "How Doctors think" Let me know what you think of it. I hope all goes well with Allison and Mike's run. At first they were talking of snow, now it's rain. I doubt if they will cancel because of rain. Snow is a problem, Boston is a very hilly city. I had to go there frequently when I was working. I had trouble getting around and I didn't have any leg problems then. I'll be rooting for them.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...