Saturday, April 21, 2007

What a terrific day yesterday! Met Helen and we had a great time catching up with each other's lives. Ordered curried chicken salad in pita bread, decidedly not a WW lunch, but ate only half and I'm okay with that.
The campus looks lovely. There are impressive new buildings, the trees and flowers are all delicately blooming, and there seems to be a general atmosphere of peace and happiness. I no sooner entered the grounds of the institution where I worked for 27 years than I felt a comfortable, "coming home" sensation. This happens when I'm on any college campus. I know how colleges work, I understand their mission, I'm aware of the ways they're different--but very much the same, too--from other places of employment. Maybe you retired nurses out there feel the same thing when you're at a hospital: it's your place and you belong there.
We had plenty of time before the party and Helen had to go back to work (I didn't--oh, joy!) so I wandered happily around, finding old friends, some of whom I had hired. I was delighted to run into former HR colleague, David P., one of those kindred spirits you discover occasionally, and we talked for a half hour or so. He asked me to call him so we could meet for lunch and I was glad to agree. Six or seven others stopped in the hall to chat and I was pleased to invariably be greeted with hugs, kisses, and cries of "Rosemary, it's so great to see you!"'s. (That's my best effort in setting up that sentence.)
But--aha! I know damn well if it hadn't been two years since my last campus visit, my appearance would have elicited shrugs and yawns. Always leave them wanting more is my policy.
The party itself was somewhat anti-climactic. I know how these things go, so didn't mind being a little late, coming in during the obligatory "she walks on water" tribute by the honoree's supervisor, John B. The lady in question, Mary Ann D., who's retiring after 35 years at Rider (fer cryin' out loud!) then stood up to deliver a long and boring speech, enlarded with every cliche in the book. Originality is not her strong suit, but a kind of innocent (or oblivious) sweetness is, and she seemed genuinely pleased to see me. My former secretary, Terri M., rushed over and we fell into each other's arms, then went out in the hall to talk and talk. I enjoyed more hugs and kisses with former bosom buddies (some of whom I can barely remember) then left to go back to my real life.
I said to David, "It's so great to be back on campus and the best part is, I don't have to stay here." Yes! That sums it up, that's what I want to convey, that's my mantra! It was a terrific time and a great career and I'm eternally grateful to Rider University--but now I'm free to be myself, free to pursue my interests, free to enjoy my new life. Amen.
Didn't get home until after 6:00. Adorable little granddaughter Vivian, now a young lady of two years and 9 months, then called to deliver the latest big news from Singapore: She went pee-pee in the potty and Mommy's going to take her to Miss Charlene (?) to get her hair cut. (Well, to grandparents, this is riveting.)
You know, it's wonderful not only to have so many riches, but to realize I have them.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

It is a wonderful feeling to go back to a place which was such a big part of your life and be greeted as though you were still part of the 'in' group. The beautiful weather and surroundings enhanced the feelings, I'm sure.

I had similar feelings when I went back to Pensacola to the hospital where I worked for many years. It is a 'coming home' feeling as you said. It's also (or at least it was for me) a feeling of "I own this place". Not sure how long that could continue as fewer and fewer folks will remember the fabulous Pat Rogers,RN.

So glad you had a great day Rosemary. Those experiences are good for the soul....you get truly refreshed.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...