Thursday, August 31, 2023

Wednesday

Good Neighbor Suzanne and I went to WinCo at 9:00 and boy, did I stock up. Walking to the car, we ran into our neighbor, Gordon. I hadn't seen him for a while and knew he had been waiting for a liver transplant. I was delighted to hear he had gotten it--in Arizona--and after a rocky few weeks, is doing well. Funny--Gordon said they left the idle one in, so now he has three kidneys! I wonder if any medical person reading this (hint, hint) might explain that. 

Got home, put the groceries away, then Suzanne took me to El Loco Pollo. Why? Because my co-actor, Ken, has dinner there every single day. So? So he has also picked me up and taken me home for every single rehearsal and show. As a thank-you, I got a gift card for him from the restaurant. 

I also worked out a card for our director, Karyn. Here's the little name rhyme (not sure why it photographed so dark; it's bright white in person):

I spent an inordinate amount of time making up the card, as I have no artistic talent at all. However, it looks okay and I'll take to the show over the weekend for the rest of the cast to sign. Coincidentally, Lisa, from the show, with whom I've gotten friendly, texted to ask me if I'd preview something she composed that she wants to sing at the cast party. It's a takeoff on "Home, Home On The Range," which Ken and Jeff sing in the show. 

Think I'll take a fruit salad to the cast party. It's vegan, as both Ben and Lindsay are and I like both of these young people (early twenties), I'm happy they don't treat me as if my age is the most important thing about me. I'm considering making something non-vegan, too.  

Lunched, then did some food prep, including chopping the three large onions I had bought at WinGo. Considered putting together my signature roasted tomatoes, but didn't feel like turning the oven on, as it's pretty hot out. Maybe I'll do it today.

Somebody posted this on Facebook ("Room in New York," 1932, by Edward Hopper, of course) and for some reason, I find it haunting. Two people in a hotel room, not engaged, not connected, not caring, lost in their own worlds. He, reading the newspaper--the want ads, maybe? Is he out of work and looking for a job?--she, fingering the piano, bored and lonely, wishing she had never come.

Note to myself: I had ordered printer ink from Amazon two days ago, got a message this morning that it had been delivered, but it isn't here. Hope they just sent the notice early--will check out front later.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

I love Hopper's work. I have the print 'Nighthawks' and often create my own stories about the people in his art. I find his work ordinary and profound at the same time.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I do not know the answer to your question. Did he have a liver transplant or kidney transplant?

Mimi said...

Liver or kidney?? I had thought liver, but now I'm wondering if it was the kidney, as I think that would make more sense. Gordon, who's only about 59, was open about having a drinking problem in the past (he's been sober for ten years or more), so now I think it was kidney, after all. Next time I see him, I'll ask. Come to think of it, I'll search this blog first.

Mimi said...

Okay, I looked it up and yes, it was kidney, not liver! Glad you caught that, Pat! And now, I realize he said they had left the bad KIDNEY in--of course, he was on dialysis and the liver doesn't need that.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...