Saturday, August 19, 2023

FRIDAY

EARLY ON:

 At home and T.O.P.S. I wasn't terribly alarmed to see I had gained from two weeks ago. Home, I went to 127.4 for plus .08; at T.O.P.S., IT WAS 128.7, for a gain of 2. I'm still under the top of my desired zone of 125 to 130, so no prob. 

I asked Cheryl if we could leave in time for me to get home by 10:00, as we had the radio program coming up. We did, I had time to eat breakfast, and seven of us (of the combined show casts of more than 60) went on Zoom and were interviewed by Elizabeth Stewart on her Santa Barbara station. It went well, I think, although I was a little taken aback when Elizabeth asked me point blank how old I am. This was prompted by me remarking that little Harper, who's eight, and I bracketed the group. I meant age-wise, of course. I didn't really mind, though. I haven't heard it yet, but I ran into Vickie when I went out for the mail. She  said she listened and thought it was good. Here's the web site address:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0610204/

I hauled out my costume for Art Comes Alive--today!--tried it on and it seems okay, but heavy and hot. What I'm really concerned about is remembering the main points of my little talk as Anke DeJong, of the Netherlands. Called Ellen and she'll pick me up at 11:00.

OPENING NIGHT:

We had the best possible opening night: sold out, a wonderfully engaged and appreciative crowd, no obvious glitches, and the marvelous energy that results after so much time and effort. Ken's and my part went just beautifully, as I think we hit all the right notes and, significantly, when we were on, there was absolute silence in the house. 

I didn't think I knew anyone who was there last night, but Shirley Whatsername greeted me with a big hug. She's the woman who writes for the Ventura Reporter and she said she'll write another piece covering this show. 

Before the show, I was delighted to see Vera, who looked spectacular and was there hosting the wine bar. She's the one who introduced me to Fractured Actors and, aside from that, is a wonderfully warm and sympatico person. We fell into each other's arms and I asked Alphonse to take pictures. Vera is very tall (about six feet), plus she had heels on last night, so she looked like a giantess and I looked like a little person. I thought it was funny when Penelope photo-bombed us (or whatever you call it). Incidentally, that's not the top I wear on stage; I just put it on to keep the other fresh.




Also, during the lo-o-o-ng stretch of time while we waited, director Karyn called her cast together and presented each of us with a rock she painted with a word she used to describe us. Mine says "inspiring" and she said she wanted to be like me when she grew up (she's in her early forties). It was so typical of her and after, we formed a circle for a group hug. 

Later, I got to know Stuart S., who is the coroner in another play and is very funny. He's been in a lot of productions, mostly in L.A., teaches at a private school in Ojai, is Jewish, from Brooklyn, has an adopted daughter from China, and is 58 years old. Also, it was great to find he's an avowed pacifist. Yeah, you get to know a lot about people during the interminable waiting.

Now to get ready for the minor gig for Art Comes Alive at the Maritime Museum. Noon to four there, then home to change, and back to Fractured Actors by 6:00--AAGH! 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Hey...why'd you refer to yourself as a Little Person and Vera as a Giantess. You could have said you looked like a midget... We tall perfect gals accept your apology in advance, Little One. LOL. Rosemary when I clicked the link it takes me to Alphonse Mouzon et all.

Mimi said...

Oh, that damn link thing. I don't know how I managed to do that, but I'm not going to bother with it now. I haven't even heard the broadcast myself, but will turn my attention to it before long. Hey, I'll bet Vera is taller than you. I know she's at least six feet--her son is probably five or six inches taller than that and even her daughter, Kendra, is probably 5'10". Interestingly, she was with her boyfriend, Ryan, last night, and he's shorter than she is by about three inches. Seems to me that's healthy--men don't HAVE to be taller than women. BTW, how tall are you, Pat?

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...