Friday, August 11, 2023

Thrilling Thursday

Because pickleball and the county fair! Those were the two major activities for the day, the first at Fort Humeme, a nearby community, where the company played a number of games and the granny/great-granny (that's me, folks) watched, took pictures, and cheered them on. Two interesting happenings occurred in my court:

First, an older woman came up to me and said she recognized me. What? But I didn't know anyone in that community. She explained that she was Carol (Something) and she had been in "Art Comes Alive" at the Maritime Museum, as I had (and will again next week). She had impersonated a Dutch princess (I a Dutch fishwife) and later the wife of a WWII sub commander. I was charmed to see her again and we had a good conversation.

Second, and more remarkable, I was chatting with a woman named Christina; she and her husband own a forty-acre farm up in the hills. She asked where I was from and I said "New Jersey." She told me her father had been born and brought up there. "Where in Jersey? I asked. "Ventnor," she said--yoicks! She explained that her Dad is now in his nineteens and that he had been a judge. Now, his grandson, her cousin, was also a judge. The name is Robertson; I don't remember them, but will look them up. Both went to ACHS, so our paths didn't cross; besides, the father is considerably older than I am (nineties) and the cousin, younger. Anyway, it was a wonderful coincidence and I enjoyed talking to her so much.

Back to Ventura, we had a quick lunch, then took off for the county fair. It was fun, if not terribly exciting. There were hordes of people there and we saw lucks of displays, animals--pigs, ugh, the smell!--and incidental other attractions. 

We left about 7:00, went back to my place, and to the hot tube, then left back to Ellen's. Long day, but a wonderful one with my nearest and dearest. Today, we go to Santa Barbara, meet Carolyn, and hang out there for a bit. Then, we zip back to my place, where Ken will pick me up at 6:00 and go to rehearsal.

One more day until the guys leave--SOB!--and one more week until we open--YAY!

 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...