Wednesday, April 05, 2023

Tuesday--To The Shops!

 ...starting with Winco with Suzanne at 9:30. I indulged my veggie addiction by getting fresh broccoli, spaghetti squash, cauliflower, spinach, and grapefruit, plus canned peas and string beans. Also bought a big favorite of mine, which I haven't eaten in  years: chicken livers. 

Home after, I put things away then did something I'm amazed was successful. I have a nice beige jacket or coat--not sure what you'd call it, because it comes to a little below my knees, but is slightly less casual than others I have. I've worn it a lot; it's very versatile, but looks good, too. The problem? It's supposed to be dry-cleaned only and it's a drag going back and forth (there are none close to here). What to do? I decided to defy the instructions and try washing it. I first treated the collar with spot remover, then put it in the washer with just a large towel. Set the water to cold and let it go. When it came out, it looked okay, but was pretty wrinkled. I had planned to hang it to dry, but then thought, "Nah, I've gone this far--I'll put it in the dryer." I set it to "wrinkle remover" and turned it on. Incredibly, it came out looking like new, so sometimes, it pays to take a chance.  Also did a load of color wash.

Had lunch, then took my cart and set off for The Market (where I got the three pounds of tomatoes I had forgotten at WinCo) and Wal-Mart, where I bought a new stapler (old had broken) and a desk tape dispenser. In both stores, I searched, then asked if they had ear muffs and they didn't.

Bused from there to the mall to find ear muffs or ear warmers, or whatever--it's been so windy lately and since I'm out a lot, my ears get cold. Incredibly, besides the two stores I mentioned before, I went to Target, Macy's, Penney's, two sports stores, and a kiosk. At the latter, I found knitted head warmers, but they're not really want I want. (Besides, when I tried one on, I looked like my Aunt Maggie in her black knitted hat.) I've come to the conclusion I'll have to go the Amazon route. 

Home, put in a load of wash, then prepared my big, beautiful cauliflower with the dressing I like so much: half mayo and half parm. Slathered it on, then popped it in the over while I took a quick shower. When I was finished, the cauliflower was, too, and I treated myself to a bowl before dinner. Yum.  The liver and onions were delicious, also; I had to restrain myself from eating all of it, but saved some for dinner tonight. 

Margarita hadn't yet gotten back in touch about picking me up for the BCNN meeting, so I texted. She wrote back she was just about to--was her response a little testy? I don't know, but she said she'd pick me up between 9:15 to 9:20.  Okay. Diane is coming, and I said I'd save her seat.

Happy day--I didn't get up until 6:15 and had awakened only a half hour or so before that! I think that confirms what I suspected: the last few days, I hadn't gotten as much exercise (walking) as I usually do and de body ain't gonna put up wif that, no way, no how. 


2 comments:

iloveac said...

It's such a good feeling when I defy the instructions on garments and wash them. I only do it on old things or something I'm willing to chuck if it doesn't turn out oK, but it usually does.

Mimi said...

Worked for me!

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...