Monday, April 10, 2023

Super Sunday

Easter Sunday was different from a lot of earlier ones (dress-up, mass, and Easter baskets), but just as--maybe more--enjoyable.  I slept well in Ellen's guest suite, although it was pretty cool at that point. We all got up and had breakfast, for Ellen and me, toast and hard-boiled eggs (which she had dyed).  After, El and I went to look at a few manufactured homes she might be interested in when she retires. We  then took a hike at the Ventura River Preserve and...

Whew! I've been at the preserve before, but this was a new trail to me and it was very rocky. When I was there before, we had taken a smoother one, but yesterday, I spent a lot of time clinging to Ellen's hand and being helped across. But we got there okay and it was so good to know I had done it. We went from the Old Baldwin Road at the bottom about a mile up to the river:


At one time, the river flowed over all the rocks on each side. Later, it entirely dried up, but when the rains came back, so did the river, and that was good to see, modest though it is: 
After traversing what we could, El drove to another trailhead about two miles away. This was a much milder jaunt and we reached the river with ease. 

Got back to El's about one and Greg treated us to a superb lunch of very thin chicken breast (he sliced, butterflied, and pounded it) dish with a garnish of cilantro, Persian preserved lemon (I never heard of it, either), olives, sweet peppers, and several other seasonings. I ate every scrap and asked for more. After, we all took a hour's nap. Greg then went off to one of his preferred places, and El and went to Ventura to drop my stuff off, then to Jasmine Thai for a good old traditional Easter dinner.  Ham? Why, no, pad Thai and Japanese beer. 

El took me home and we said goodbye after a wonderfully enjoyable weekend. I'll be back there tomorrow to kitty-sit for two days while El and Greg go to San Luis Obispo. Mike messaged me, asking when a good time to call was and we settled on today, so I'm looking forward to hearing from him. 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

My God Rosemary. Where do you all get your energy?. I am amazed. It has to be genetic. I hated physical exercise from my childhood days. I'm more of a stroller than a hiker and better as a sitter. Reading about you walking over rocks gives me trepidation just reading it. Moving to CA and having Ellen nearby was such a good/wise move for you...yet the nameless one was a good companion for your energy desires as well. Were all your sibs high energy.?

Mimi said...


Pat, please see my response on your email.

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...