Sunday, April 23, 2023

Saturday With Two Guys

A good day. The weather was so nice--72 and sunny--that I decided to have a cold lunch and went over to Von's for provisions. Jim came a bit early and we chatted, then sat down to ham sandwiches, deviled eggs, and crystal pickles, accompanied by a good cabernet, of course. After, I presented him with a slice of chocolate cake (bought, not homemade, I'm afraid), added a candle, and sang The Song to my friend. (His spirits seemed much elevated, which I was glad to notice.)    

Remembering that Jim had enjoyed quizzing me on crosswords last week, I had put out a crossword puzzle book  and The Ventura Breeze weekly, which also carries one. After lunch, we sat on the couch and made use of them. I thought they were pretty simple, so was able to answer most. We then started talking about Maria Callas and opera and, via my phone and Instagram, I called up a number of sites that featured operas and singings singing it. We proceeded to sit there and listen and discuss (though I'm pretty ignorant, of course). Jim didn't leave until 5:30.

I cleaned up and just as I walked into the other room to the laptop, Mike PM-videoed me from Singapore. He was walking outside and it was wonderful to see him, of course. It was even better as he proceeded to take me down the street in his neighborhood, pointing out the various huge, townhouses and apartments, then over a walkway, then into a kind of open market. He showed me the wonderful fruits displayed, including several I never even heard of, as well as chickens, fish, and whole legs of pork. Little shopfronts displayed small non-edibles, too, all in tasteful arrangements. I was amazed, as I always am about Singapore, with the cleanliness and neatness. There is no graffiti, no trash in the gutters, no garbage cans overflowing; no homeless, either. 

I noticed Mike was wearing ear buds and mentioned I'd like some. He's with Apple and said he'd order them. Got up just now and found an email from Apple, saying they were on their way. He already paid for them ($225) and I emailed I'd reimbursed, but I know he won't accept that. The dear boy had this engraved on them: RBM ♥.

Paula is now back from Mauritius, but here's another of her lovely pictures: 


No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...