Thursday, April 06, 2023

Wednesday With Women

Margarita picked me up at 9:15 for the BCNN (Beach Cities Neighbors And Newcomers) meeting. I knew Diane was going in order to join and saved her a seat at our table, but as it turned out, she was told to sit at the guest table. When we got there, I glanced around and saw a curly-haired woman, but had no idea it was Diane! When she came up to me, I was amazed--she always looks good, but yesterday, she outdid herself:

This gal turned 80 six months ago!

Diane and Margarita know each other, as both attended what Diane calls "the U.U. church." I'm not sure if that means Unitarian or not. Ventura abounds with all kinds of churches, not only established religions, but off-shoots of established religions, off-shoots of off-shoots, sects, cults, and covens--mostly tiny congregations whose members, I think, have a tendency to switch from one to another. Hey, whatever floats your boat.   

The program wasn't too interesting: A hair-stylist and wig person who demonstrated different types of materials and styles; she herself was wearing a wig that cost, she said, ten thousand dollars. Most of the rest were only several hundred bucks and one was rock-bottom cheap at seventy-five 😁.

On the way home, Margarita and I got into a serious discussion about politics and other controversial topics. She toes the neo-liberal line: Trump is the personification of evil, Republicans are either feeble-minded or on a par with Attila the Hun, all men are determined to subjugate all women, and so boringly on and on. (No question she watches television "news.")  Actually, although her beliefs are not mine (nor are they all necessarily the opposite), it was more engaging than our earlier conversations. 

Got in about noon and packed my lunch, took my cart, and bused to town.  I was determined to get a reasonable amount of walking in, so got off earlier than I ordinarily would. That was good because I saw this huge mural adorning a building on Main that I hadn't seen before. I set it up as a jigsaw puzzle, am now half finished, and find it challenging for obvious reasons: 

                                     

I got off at Loma Vista Avenue to pick up some onions at The Market, then walked to the transit center. Home, I cut up my three pounds of tomatoes, added the onions, seasoning and oil, and popped it in the oven. Had some for dinner with the leftovers of liver and onions (so good) and roasted cauliflower (even better).

Ellen called and we had a good chat. She invited me for Easter, which I accepted, of course. I told her I didn't think there was bus service then, so she asked me to stay over Saturday. But when I checked the schedule, I saw the buses do run then; I'll call and ask if I can come Saturday anyway.

Lunch with LaVonne today at the Hill Street Café.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...