Monday, April 17, 2023

Sunday, Town, And Thomas Wolfe*

My brother, Larry, patriarch of the most prolific family ever, called to announce that he had a twelfth--or fourteenth or otherwise, he wasn't sure--great-grandson, courtesy of one of the granddaughters. Also, one other of the other granddaughters has moved to Ohio and is preparing to divorce her husband, he wasn't sure why. Darn, I wish Helen was still alive, she would have given me the lowdown.

After Lar and I talked for a good 45 minutes, I packed my lunch and bused to town. Ate at my usual across from the mission; it was sunny, but a little too cool for my taste. Strolled around town, but didn't buy anything. Bused to Target and got a beautiful big cauliflower, a banana, and a frozen vegan frittata.

While on the bus, I got a call from Julie telling me there'd be no Rubicon Theatre last night after all, as it turned out Regina didn't have valid tickets. It's a confused story: It seems a friend of Regina's had won them via a radio contest, but when Regina called the theater yesterday, they said the seats were sold and the tickets Regina had were stolen. Julie didn't understand it, either, but I'll hear it sooner or later. I'm not terribly disappointed, much as I would have liked to have gone. The show at the college is coming up, and there will be others.

Home, I did my usual with the cauliflower: blanch, spread with mayo and parm, roast for twenty, and yummy-yum. That made up a good vegan meal along with leftovers of spinach, mixed veggies, and yams.

Texted Ellen and she called me after dinner. from The Rainbow Bridge (it's a supermarket, not a cemetery!) after dinner at Sea Fresh. I told them Jim was now agreeable to a Greg lunch, however, not until the semester's over in mid-May,  They were disconcerted, for which I don't blame them, and I said I'd see if I could get him to make it sooner. 

My FB pal, Sean Gleason, posted this lovely picture of the Ventnor Water Works on the bay: 

Betty and I used to walk there as kids and there were fish in the fountain outside. We would go inside, too, and look in awe at the machinery. Somehow, because we didn't go very often and because there seemed never to be anyone there, it stays in my memory as equal parts enchanting and frightening.  "O lost, and by the wind grieved, ghost, come back again."--Thomas Wolfe

* Okay, a compromise: I'll sometimes elaborate up top and sometimes not.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...