Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Tuesday

What a delightful day! I took the 9:45 bus to Santa Barbara and was picked up at 11:00 by Carolyn and nephew, Wes. We then went and got Betty at Villa Alamar and I was finally able to see her room. It's small, but has a nice kind of anteroom and a roomy bathroom (no tub or shower, as the residents are helped to bathe by staff). From there, we went to Carolyn's, where I met Wes's lady friend, Heidi. I like her a lot; she's also an attorney (on HEPA affairs) and has two daughters and a son. I was fascinated to hear she and her former husband adopted the son from Ethiopia and we talked about that.

Carolyn went out and got subs for lunch, then presented a birthday cake (it was Wes's 57th) and we sang The Song. I had just quickly pulled together something--two small bottles of wine, which I said was for him and Heidi--and he appreciated it.

What I appreciated--well, it was more like I was blown away with amazement and gratitude--was the Google Earth virtual reality set Wes had brought. He put it on m, gave me the hand controls and I actually visited Ventnor and Singapore! It's as if you're in--not a plane, but maybe a glider soaring over the land. You can also--which I did--go down to street level, turn here and there, then use a control to take a kind of snapshot of the area. I saw St. James, the house where I grew up on Rosborough Avenue, Betty's big house on Atlantic, Mom's on Washington, and so many other places. I saw where son Mike and family live in Singapore and was almost, but not quite, able to walk in. I want one of these--I do! Maybe I'll ask the kids to put together and get me one for Christmas. In fact, I could actually buy one myself--hmm...

Anyway, it was a neat day and it was wonderful to see the loving care and concern Carolyn and Wes show Betty, who is more faded mentally and more frail physically than ever. 

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...