Thursday, October 07, 2021

Lunch, Bad Religion, And The Prom

The saga of the refrigerator continues: It was running okay--you can hear a kind of hum--when I checked periodically in the morning, but then, at about 10:15, it stopped humming. Carolyn had called to say they were running a little late, but I decided not to notify the office about the stoppage immediately, for two reasons: 1. I didn't want a whole lot of commotion while I was hosting a luncheon (HA--that sounds o grandiose!) and 2. I looked on-line and read that a GE might automatically defrost once a day, so you wouldn't hear it running. That was comforting, except for the fact that when it stopped yesterday, things didn't get cool. 

But aside from all that, my company came--Betty, Carolyn, and Girl Dana--and we had a great time. We sat in the living room with cocktails first and talked and talked. I served lunch about 12:30--ham and swiss sandwiches, crystal pickles, and deviled eggs, then apple crisp with ice cream for dessert. They left about 3:30 with many thanks. Betty, of course, made little sense and I was alarmed at how heavy she's gotten and how physically frail; she uses a walker and even so, had to be helped. 

Interestingly, Carolyn mentioned her brother, Jay Bentley, who founded and is the bassist for the rock band "Bad Religion." Later, I looked him up (praise Internet!) and it seems he and it are pretty well known in--in rock band circles, that is. I emailed my kids to see is any had heard of it. 

After the lunch, I put about everything in the dishwasher after they left and started thinking of my mother's beautiful china. That was ringed with platinum and couldn't be put in the dishwasher. I often entertained when we lived in Little Egg and would serve dinner on it; I'd be up until midnight hand washing it. 

Went next door to Suzanne's after I had cleaned up and brought her a bowl of apple crisp; stayed for fifteen or so chatting. I was amused to have her mention the L.A. Dodgers; she said the sister friends of hers who live nearby are avid fans. I remember when they were the Brooklyn Dodgers, of course,  and what a furor when they left. 

Called Jim and we had a good talk. I asked if he wanted to go to the Dudley House covered dish next week (he's accompanied me before) and yes, he does. Our talk meandered onto high school days and I was surprised to hear him mention going to the prom. With a girl! (Wow--Jim has depths I never realized.) Must explore this when I see him at my place for lunch on Saturday.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...