Friday, October 15, 2021

Interesting Encounters

I walked to Green Thumb to get new garden clippers (I had broken the ones I had), then back, so did three miles in the morning. As I approached a cross street, I saw this young woman sleeping next to the street:

I considered whether I should call 911 or what. Finally, I got two dollars out of my purse and walked over to her. I was going to just slip it under her arm, but she awoke and and looked up at me. I held out the money and said, "just put this into your pocket." At that, she jumped up and yelled, "I'm not fuckin' homeless!" She said she needed to call her work at the detention center, but didn't have her phone. I offered to punch in a number and she said, "Do you have a Google phone?" I had no idea what that was, and said no. At that, she started screaming, "If you don't have a Google phone, then the hell with it," then ran away down the street. Something tells me she may not work, but may have escaped from the detention center. Well, it was an interesting encounter--I guess. 

The second encounter was more to my liking: Donna picked me up at 1:00 and we went to the Hill Street CafĂ© for lunch. I hadn't been there since pre-C., so about two years. We sat out on the veranda, which was so enjoyable.  Donna had brought her father's Rider yearbooks and other artifacts and asked me to take them home and look them over. 

I had met Donna at Soaring Spirits. She had lost her husband when he was only 54--some kind of stent botch, I think. Anyway, she met Mark at one of our gatherings (horribly, his young wife had suddenly died of a stoke when their baby daughter was two weeks old). Now Donna and Mark have been married for three years and the little girl is nine. They share custody with her grandmother and it's a cordial arrangement, I'm happy to say. 

Donna dropped me home about 2:30 and I went in, changed my shoes, then left to bus to town. Visited my usual haunts, bought a few DVDs and--remarkably--two pairs of slacks. Home about 5:00, after which I settled in for the night. Since I had had a hamburger and beer for lunch, I just had a big salad for dinner.

Today, T.O.P.S., then lunch with Noreen at Lure. 

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...