Saturday, July 31, 2021

Home Again

I tidied up a bit at Ellen's before the Access Van came. I left some stuff, including my little cart, as I'll see El on Sunday; we're tentatively planning lunch and a movie. Got home about 3:30 and put things away, then went to Von's for lettuce and lunchmeat, as Jim will be here for lunch today. 

Suzanne came over about 5:30 to show me pictures of her niece's wedding in Seattle and discuss the topic mentioned below. Had a good dinner of tilapia, yams, and spinach, cleaned up, then showered, washed my hair, and vegged out for the evening.

Note: Following is an elaboration--although not a full one--of the Vickie/Mary saga. There's some question as to who will succumb first to either disease or dementia--and there's no good answer.

Vickie had called me in the morning to ask if I could be with Mary today (Saturday) while she has yet another medical procedure, this one all morning. The usual caregiver, Liz, had a problem--and is a problem, unfortunately, but I don't want to repeat what Vickie told me. She thought possibly I could alternate with Suzanne. I told her I was expecting a lunch guest (Jim), but would be glad to cover the "first shift," so to speak, so 8:45 to 11:00. She called me later to say Suzanne couldn't do it, but had suggested Vickie ask me to be with Mary from 10 to 11 while Vickie walks on the beach and prays. Of course, I'll be glad to.

I don't know what's going to happen with this sad situation. Mary's dementia is worsening (well, the damn thing doesn't get better) and Vickie's breast cancer is by no means cured. The big problem is that they have no money. Luckily, Vickie has medical insurance (she works for the county), but Mary has none, so there can never be any adequate care for her. Hmm...Suzanne's suggestion about praying is interesting--but maybe Vickie won't be praying in the right direction. There is only one god in this country and his name is Mammon.   

3 comments:

Pat said...

Rosemary,
Do you know if Vickie has contacted Social Services? Surely Mary is eligible for Medicaid. Sad situation for so many folks.

Mimi said...

Oh, yes, Vickie actually works for the county and she's deep into all kinds of services. She knows officials of the Ventura Department of Aging and, in fact, Mary does get adult day care and other benefits. I'm sure she's on MediCal (which it's called here). The problem is, Mary really needs full-time custodial care, similar to what Betty has, but you know the kind of income level that requires. Vickie has made herself familiar with all the facilities that take indigent people and she says they're just warehouses--little or no memory care, few activities, and so on. I'd guess the same holds true in any state, I'm afraid.

Pat said...

Rosemary,
I can't believe they are all 'warehouses'. Of course, they will be minimal care with State inspections; even in private pay places families often think the care is inadequate. Too many people have lived below the income level to put away funds for their long-term care and this is the sad state of affairs. There are other people who believe the government will pay for them and they spend every dime they make. I don't know the best solution.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...