Monday, July 26, 2021

Sunday

I aced the Sunday crossword. Instead of pleasing me, that seemed to emphasize how pathetic it is to think that means something. It doesn't.  Yes, that was the mood I was in and I think it was mostly because it was overcast. Called Betty, which added to my glumness. I'm hoping to be able to visit her the week after next when I get back from Ojai. Also called Muckie, but she didn't answer and I left a message. 

It helped a bit that I figured out--I hope--how to wrap great-grandson, Tristan's, birthday present. It's a baseball-style cap from California and I added some dough in the card. I then got a lift from seeing Tokyo son and adorable Mr. K. play a duet together at son's piano recital. At seven, K. is about as tall as my boys were at ten. I then sat down and wrote him a letter, enclosing some fish stickers I had picked up at the thrift store. Happily, that cheered me up and so did the sun coming out later. 

After lunch, I walked over the footbridge to the Hill Street branch of the library. I knew they aren't open on Sundays and I just wanted to return the Full Service (racy Hollywood) book. I was amazed and delighted to see that it was open--sort of. Reading the information on the window told me they had "Express Hours" on Sundays from 8am to 5 pm. This means, I discovered, that you can access the library with your card--which I did--and linger to read a bit--which I did--and borrow books--which I didn't, as I already have a mountain I haven't read yet. They also have a corner with a modest number of used books for sale; no staff, but there's a box for patrons to put their money in. I actually found a book I liked for a buck. It's called Something From the Oven/Reinventing Dinner in 1950s America. Honest and trustworthy as St. Theresa that I am, I put in my dollar. (Now wait: What did I say about already having a mountain of books...?)

From there, I took the 11 bus to the transit center/mall. I just didn't feel like continuing into town, so I went to Target. Picked up some toys for my grand-kitties (I'll be with them tomorrow) and three little containers for this and that. Went to Penney's and almost bought a new over-the-body bag. It's just as well I decided against it, as I really don't need it and I have enough stuff in my life.

Got home at 4:00 and cooked up a large bag of spinach. Reserved some for dinner and used my great little one-portion, lidded casserole dish for the rest, which I stowed in the freezer.  




No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...