Thursday, July 08, 2021

Wednesday

Stella and I had planned to meet at Lure, have lunch, then go on to the movie. I got there at 1:00, but there were employees outside to announce that the electricity had gone off and they couldn't seat anyone. Called Stella, told her, and we agreed to meet at Dargan's.

We did, I had a hamburger and good Irish beer, and we were almost finished when her friend and neighbor, Carol, came.  She also had a hamburger, but there was plenty of time, as the movie didn't start until 3:25, and the theatre is just a few doors down on Main.

We went in--there was only one other person in the audience--and first sat through an interminable number of previews, each of which featured violence of one sort or another. The movie itself was slightly entertaining--in spots--but much, much too long. (Maybe it seemed that way to me because of my habit of watching movies at home in one-hour or less increments.) 

Anyway, Cruella is a kind of Brit poor imitation of The Devil Wore Prada. It featured the mean head of a fashion empire, a poor girl who triumphs, and even the bald-headed assistant to the meanie, a dead ringer for Stanley Tucci, who played the same in Meryl's movie. As for Carol, Stella's friend, she was okay, I guess, although a bit too positive she was right in all things.  

I didn't get off the bus until almost 7:00 and impulsively  rang Vickie's bell before I went home. She invited me in, insisted I stay for a glass of wine (well, I didn't need much persuading), and we had a good talk. More bad things are happening with Mary, who's now getting aggressive--hits Vickie and so on. I don't know how much longer Vickie can handle this, considering her upcoming cancer treatment. She's still frantically try to find a good place for Mary, where she'll be cared for, but since Mary has no money, why bother? There is only one god and his name is Mammon.   

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...