Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Big Business, Betty, And A Bonanza

I walked to The Market after breakfast for goodies, including carrots. Home, I scrubbed them, cut them, added oil and seasoning, and put in to slow cook. Had lunch, then napped for two hours--unusual for me, but after my restless night, I needed it badly. Felt good when I got up at 4:00 and--happy day--slept well last night.

I wish I could find a place other than Rolling Oaks Radiology to get my bone density test. Unfortunately, I don't even know of any around here. I've been trying to make an appointment for days. Got an email to the effect that they prefer you to make them online. Hey, I'd love to and I tried to several times over several days. Every time I got to the page to actually chose a day and time, I was confronted with a message: there were no available times in the morning. Or the afternoon. Or the evening. Every time.  I think this kind of thing may have a connection with the book I'm reading: The Velvet Rope Economy/How Inequality Became Big Business. The privileges and perks the wealthy receive solely because they're able to pay for them are prevalent in every corner of modern society, certainly include health care.

Stella called re our movie date today. We talked about where to have lunch and I suggested Dargan's. Again--and this seems to happen constantly--she started talking about how she got Irish stew there she didn't think was fresh, and so on. She suggested Lure and, okay, fine by me, but I'm beginning to think this is some kind of control thing. She seems always to have some objection to whatever place is proposed, but oh, well, Lure's okay, too. I was a little taken aback when Stella said she had invited two other women to go with us and one of them might want to bring a friend.  Hmm..if they're interesting and reasonably intelligent, I might enjoy them, but considering Stella's persona.... Okay, we'll see. 

Betty called just after dinner--twice, in fact, and we had our usual disjointed conversation. She doesn't, of course, call me directly anymore. Her helper, Elizabeth, goes over her voicemail messages, then helps Betty call the people back.

The mail was very late yesterday; I went out to my box after 5:00 and it was empty. Went again a little after six and had a bonanza: my RLS medication,* two referrals, notification from BOA that my account was credited again because of the hacker (they've now refunded more than $700) and, also from BOA, my new Mastercard. Even better, I got the book I ordered: The Tragedy of Science.  

*Note to Pat: I'll email you more info on this shortly.



+  

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...