Friday, July 30, 2021

Out And About In Ojai

I was pleased when Jim called in the morning (7:30) to discuss an article on science I had given him. He also asked if I was available for lunch on Saturday. I said I'd see if Ellen was coming over then or on Sunday, but come to think of it, why not have her over, too? I called her later--about 7pm--but they were at a movie and she said she'd call this morning.

I set out after breakfast, thinking to walk to town, but the temperature was already in the eighties, so instead, I took the "trolley" (really, a tricked out kind of mini-bus), instead. Since they're part of the Ventura County Transportation System, it was free for me. I stopped at a few shops, but didn't buy anything until I got to a used book store affiliated with the library. Bought two DVDs (I can't help myself!), then went next door to the library.

The Ojai Library reminds me wonderfully of the old Ventnor Library, which was on the boardwalk when I was a kid--to me, it was a cathedral. Ojai's is small, carpeted, with round tables and captain chairs here and there. The building has housed the library since 1927;  an addition was added in 1979, but it retains its comfortable, old time flavor. I sat there happily for an hour or so, dipping here and there into a bio of Maria Callas. 

Took the trolley back and had a late lunch. El had left a lot of lettuce--more than enough for several days--and I picked some of her cherry tomatoes, added the grapes I had brought, then realized I had no protein to add. I found a can of corned beef hash in Ellen's emergency supplies and put a few spoonfuls of that in--unusual, but it tasted good.

Called Jim and told him to come for lunch on Saturday. Even if El wants to drop off my stuff then, she can stay for lunch, too. Otherwise, maybe she could bring it on another day. I'm going to just put stuff I don't need right away for her to bring. Noreen called and we made a date for Monday lunch at Dargan's in town. 


No comments:

Sunday

I reserved yesterday for chores.  Stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I had breakfast. It pleased me that, just as I responded to t...