Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Tristan, K., Larry, Barbara, And Ishmael

Stripped the bed, washed the sheets, and re-made. After breakfast, I walked to the P.O. with the present for Tristan and the letter to Mr. K. I was prepared to have the latter cost up to twenty bucks and was amazed that it was only $3.39. Hey, no argument with that.

Did some computer stuff--if it's such a boon, why do our lives seem to be more, not less complicated than they used to be?  Dunno, but I can't get along without it. Impulsively, I called my brother, Larry, in Miami and we had a good talk. His Helen is sinking fast, I'm afraid; sometimes she doesn't know who he is. 

Showered, washed my hair, and prepared to meet Barbara out front. Instead of going to Aloha, we decided on Two Trees for lunch--and what a terrific time we had. We talked and talked and talked, interspacing our chatter with laughs and--I should be embarrassed to admit, but I'm not--salty language. Barbara just retired as CEO of the Ventura Fairgrounds and now acts in an advisory capacity. I was thrilled to learn she's also a patient of Dr. Babbitt's and what's more, she has the same phobia about dentistry I do. We stayed at Two Trees until 4:00, then split. 

When I got home, I took a nap, oddly enough. I also called Nancy, to whom I haven't talked to in an age. I thought she might now be able to meet me for lunch in Ojai. However, she has terrific fatigue, maybe because of her hemoglobin problem, so that seems to be out.

Must pack to get ready to go to Ellen's this afternoon. I asked the Access Van to get me there about 5:00, so I can feed the kitties dinner.     

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note to myself: And I Alone Survived, by Lauren Elder

"And I only am escaped alone to tell thee." -- Job [This quote from the Bible is that of Job's servants telling their master some very bad news. Melville uses it because Ishmael, the only survivor of the debacle, is at last healed and reconciled with God.]

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...