Friday, July 09, 2021

Joe

I walked to Smart 'n' Final after breakfast for lettuce, broccoli, and potatoes. Went to Dollar Tree next door for a few other things. Walked back and when I approached the gate, Vickie was walking toward me. We went on together and chatted sadly about Mary's continuing decline and the difficulty of finding an appropriate place for her.

Speaking of which: Niece Carolyn called to say she had found one for Betty, who moved there yesterday. This is a memory care place and looks like a much better fit. Also, if I'm not mistaken (I have to look into it further), I'll be able to get there directly on the local bus, so when I visit, Carolyn won't have to get me there--YAY! 

I called Joe, as promised, before lunch, to say I'd be there at The Townhouse, where he lives, at 4:00.  Showered and took the bus there, meeting him at the appointed time.

In truth, I wasn't looking forward to this. Joe is now 96 and has suffered a number of reverses within the last few years. He can no longer walk and rides a battery-powered kind of scooter. His hearing is off (and, although he has a hearing aid, he wasn't wearing it), and he's very thin. He was in a coma for three weeks (not medically-induced) last year and has had cancer, two heart attacks, and something he called "a calcified bladder." 

Actually, though, I enjoyed myself. We first sat on his patio--he's not in the main building, but has a nice little cottage on the grounds--with beer (Stella Artois, one of my favorites) and talked for an hour until it was time for dinner. Went to the main building where we were courteously told we had to sit outside (because I'm an outsider). But that isn't some back alley or something; it's a wonderfully well-appointed covered area called "The Pier," with nautical touches here and there, comfortable chairs at round tables with umbrellas, and plenty of space. We were given menus, then our orders were taken, and served. 

The food wasn't bad, especially for such a large place and the staff is about as warm and friendly as anywhere I've seen. Many of them greeted Joe by name, as did many of the residents. Considering it was built in 1965 and covers 12 acres, the place seems remarkably homey. Residents have a choice of tower suites (I've been in one and the views are spectacular), private villas, and cottages. There is memory care here, but most of the people I saw and with whom I chatted were, like Joe, mentally sound, but simply old. I was delighted to be introduced to a man whose two sons graduated from Rider, as Joe and I did. When I asked the man when, he said he didn't remember, but one of his sons is seventy.

Anyway, we said goodbye after dinner and I intended to take a bus home. I started walking, though, and walked all the way home, a mile and a half, but it felt good. They had pictures of residents in the lobby and here's Joe when he graduated from Rider--he's changed a bit:





No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...