Sunday, August 01, 2021

Saturday

In the morning, Vickie texted Suzanne and me that she had decided to attend the memorial service in San Luis Obispo. As promised, I went over to Mary-sit at 8:45. Mary was again sitting on the couch with the child's book she likes to read (out loud) and play (it has kind of music box attached). Vickie left a few minutes after I arrived; she had left for me to see two loose-leaf books about Mary. I was impressed to see a number of newspaper clippings chronically her golf tournament wins. She also, it seems, was a champion pool player; there were newspaper articles about that, too. 

But the other scrapbook was most impressive: It contained pictures of, and information about, the large, intricate, and perfectly beautiful doll houses Mary used to make. Most of them have been donated to museums and other charities, except for one given to Mary's granddaughter.  The book also contained Mary's high school diploma from 1952. Nineteen fifteen two--how could that be? I graduated HSHS in 1954 and Mary couldn't possibly be two years older than I am. But she is; she's turned 87 on April 19. Looking at her, you'd never believe she was more than maybe sixty-eight or nine.  

The book also contained Mary's resume (she graduated from Ventura College with a degree in art) and her work history as a technician.  Interestingly, Mary's maiden name was Y Barra, so she's of Latina descent, but her married name is Monahan--as Irish as Molloy. Anyway, Mary and I chatted a bit--not very coherently--and got along okay.  I called Betty while I was there, with the usual confused result.

Suzanne came to spell me at 11:30 and off I went to prepare for Jim lunch. Made my usual chicken sandwiches, gave him cabernet sauvignon and I reverted to beer.  We had good talk and minor arguments, as ever, and he stayed until 3:30. I then bused to town, took books back to the library, picked up another Kellerman (I must wean myself away from him!), walked Main, and got home after 6:00.

Ellen called and we'll meet at noon today for lunch at Dargan's, then see Roadrunner, the documentary movie about Anthony Bourdain--yay! 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...