Monday, August 02, 2021

Anthony B. and Jim M.

 I had breakfast a half hour early--at 7:30, so I had plenty of time to eat, do the crossword, then go over to Von's for eggs and blueberries. Coming back in, I met Suzanne outside sweeping our joint walk. We compared notes about our Mary-sitting on Saturday and she surprised me by mentioning that Mary's ex had been mayor of Ventura. I added a newspaper article from two years ago about him. Shortly after, I left to bus to town to meet Ellen. 

The plan was to have lunch at Dargan's Irish Pub at noon, then go right next door to the Century 10 theatre for the 1:10 showing of Roadrunner. I got there early, so strolled around, then thought I'd buy the movie tickets ahead of time. When I got there, I was told it wasn't on until 4:10. The website had said there was a 1:10, but the guy at the movie said they had had trouble with their "platform." I was annoyed, and thought El wouldn't want to wait, but it turned out okay. We had a leisurely lunch, then went back to my place and dropped off the cart and valise I had left there when I kitty-sat. Drove back and saw the movie (after, of course, the 16,000 ads that come first).

The movie was pretty good. It didn't of course, solve the mystery of why Bourdain killed himself, but it was absorbing and interesting to watch. El drove me home and I got in about 6:30. I then called Noreen, whom I had planned to meet for lunch at Dargan's today, but I just didn't want to go to the same damn place, especially since I had been there with Stella a few weeks ago, so we decided on Lure, a restaurant I like a lot in both Ventura and Santa Barbara.

Following is the headline of a newspaper article on Mary's ex, who served as mayor from '87 to '89 and was in Ventura City government for 41 years. I assume he's still living as I found no obituary.

Ventura dedicates street near City Hall to Jim Monahan




No comments:

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...