Monday, August 19, 2019

Third Time's A Charm

After breakfast and the Sunday routine, I stocked up on a shi-- a carload of produce. Also bought two big chicken thigh pieces; seasoned and roasted them, then wrapped and froze for a later dinner. Transferred onto my phone a cast picture of Steel Magnolias and a pic of my niece-in-law and Andrew Lang (she and nephew David had hosted a gathering for him in New Hampshire.) Showered, washed my hair, got into my stage outfit, and left for our 3:30 call for the 5:00 show.
As usual, we had a lot of down time. Sat, roamed around, chatted, and conferred with Jeff and the stage managers about my still somewhat  problematic entrance. Jen put reflecting tape on the "black box" I sit on and that helped to an extent, but isn't perfect yet.
However, our third performance just about was: The audience was wonderfully engaged and enthusiastic and our part came off beautifully. We're now hitting our stride, I think, and this points up how limited our companies were in Jersey. Because we usually did only three nights (Hedda Gabbler was the sole exception for me; that ran for two weekends), we didn't really have a chance to get as deeply into it.
Showed Gwen the pic of niece Polly and Yang and 11-year-old Hudson the one of Gaten M.'s mother and me in Magnolias. We then started chatting and I discovered he's a nice kid. Later, his mother, Shannon, Jeff's wife, talked to me about their concern for Hudson: He wants to audition for parts in, you might say, the great world--we're a hop, skip, and a jump from L.A. and Hollywood--and they're hesitant, as any parents would be, that the show biz thing will turn out to be a disappointment or worse for him. Shannon said she's like to talk to me about this when we have more time.
Home by 7:30--what a thrill, it was still daylight!--and I found a text from Suzanne, saying she had enjoyed the show. I rang her bell and she said she had been there, but had left at intermission. I don't blame her--it's a long show and I've been known to do the same at some affairs--but I was happy to hear how much she liked it. I was amused to hear her say she hadn't realized I had "such a big part." Heavens, this was nothing; I've been in many full plays, including, say, Night Must Fall, during which I  was on-stage every minute until the end of act three (of four.) Happily, I was then murdered, always a fun thing.
Goodness, we now have three days off, a real bonanza. Jeff wants us back at 2:30 on Thursday for a run-through to gear up for next weekend, but sans costumes and props. I have the widder dinner tonight and I think I'll see if my pals can meet for Happy Hour tomorrow or Wednesday; I also need to do a wash and a few other things.

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...