Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Food And A Fridge

I seem to spend half my time grocery shopping, but I guess that goes with eating mostly non-processed food, vegetables and fruit. Went to WinCo and other places before lunch.
I had told El I'd get over to her house by 3:00 to receive the new fridge. As I was driving there, she called to say Lowe's had called to say it would be delivered in ten minutes. What? I was at least twenty minutes away, damn it. However, they had waited, so they were there when I arrived.
They took out the old piece of crap (an LG; never buy one) and put in the new. I asked them to hook up the hose for the ice and water, which they did. However, when they plugged it in, it didn't go on. Why? Because the electricity as off, due to the Pacific Electric working outside. Okay, that would be remedied later.
I thought it was odd there were only little nubs on both doors (the fridge is a large side by side), but the men explained that the handles were inside; they then left. There was also a heavy, shrink wrap covering, which was very hard--in fact, impossible--for me to get off. I was alarmed when Sebastian started chewing on it--he could easily have bitten off a piece and choked on it. Anyway, I called El and she was alarmed that the men hadn't put the handles on and taken the plastic  off. She called Lowe's and yes, that was part of the setup; she was told they'd be back and there were in about a half hour, at which point, they completed the job.
But sonofabitch! Why hadn't they done it in the first place? BTW, Ellen had left a twenty-dollar bill (if they had refused to hook up the hose, saying it wasn't part of the setup, I was to offer them that on the side) and I had been tempted to give it to them as a tip. (I do tip people who deliver things; most of them work hard and deserve it.) However, I didn't and considering they were going to just leave the fridge as it was, I was glad I hadn't.
Anyway, it's in, it works, and I hope that'll be the end of Ellen's household woes. I fed Sebastian, then left about 5:15, got home, and settled in for the night.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Yes, and thank you for saving Sebastian's trip to the vet or worse. Like you and for the same reason I tip service people, but leaving the fridge as they did the first time I would not have given them a penny. Glad you got it settled while you were still there.

Friday

Weight: home down a pound to 124.4; T.O.P.S., down .03 to 125.2, so okay. The meeting was the usual: therapy session and general chat for mo...