Saturday, August 17, 2019

Opening Night!

At T.O.P.S., I weighed in at 130.7, a slight gain, but not a full pound up. There were only five of us there; Lolly had brought in a long article from the L.A. Times on a study about processed foods and how it contributes to obesity.  I think this has been known for some time, but this was a rigorous, peer-reviewed study, to carries more weight (certainly to me) than anecdotal "evidence." Anyway, Lolly gave it to me and I'll read it more closely.
The rest of the afternoon I did some food prep--made up a batch of my roasted tomatoes/onions/garlic and seasonings and just hung out, practicing my lines over and over. Nervous? Why, of course--I can't imagine any actor who isn't nervous to some degree before a performance.
I was happy to get a call from my brother, Jim, thanking me for the puzzle books I sent him. He sounded a little less confused than he did right after surgery. He said his son and son-in-law are "walking him" pretty often. He finds that tiring, but doesn't object. A therapist (or some kind of helper) is coming in to help tomorrow. Talked to my sister-in-law, also.
Walked over to Von's for a few things, including raw "extra jumbo shrimp." These are pretty big, all right--pretty soon, shrimp will be as big as chicken legs. I thought I'd have some before I left for the show, but I didn't feel hungry. Showered and got in my stage duds and left for the show.
It was a smash hit! The place looked terrific at its end-stage decoration, which included round tables for four or six with checkered table cloths and battery-operated candles. It was a drag, as ever, sitting around until our thing went on, but tolerable. We did well, although Shannon said after that some of us, including me, had a volume problem. However, six of my people, including Ellen and Greg, were in the audience and when I asked them, they said they could hear me fine. I will, though, consciously  increase my volume tonight. Getting on and off stage darkness was still a problem, but I'm going to see if I can enter from the opposite side.
Vera was there, dressed like a very tall--she's over six feet--barmaid, with pigtails, short shorts, and shoe boots. (She sells the beer and wine behind the bar.) We hugged happily and chatted. I'll see her tonight again and then on Monday for our regular widder dinner.
El came backstage (which is a whole large area, including two dressing rooms and a lounge). She and Greg left after our play, which precedes intermission, but said it was good. After the show, we mingled and I saw Lora from T.O.P.S. and another woman, who used to attend and whose name I can't remember, plus their husbands. Talked to them for a bit, then left. Home after 10 and I'm not even sure when I got to bed.
Anyway, the ice is broken and I'm looking forward to tonight's show.

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...