Sunday, August 18, 2019

Great Show

I finally got at least a minor walk in: took a bus to town after lunch, got off at the library and walked down Main to the mission. That's maybe a mile--far from adequate, but at least it was something. Instead of my usual huge salad, I pan-fried the "extra-jumbo shrimp" for lunch, added most of a bag of fresh spinach (I steam it in the microwave), and had that. It was good and should hold me until I get home, which will be close to 11:00, I figure.
Got a text from Betty's DIL, Robyn, asking where they could have dinner before the show; I wrote back a few suggestions. She, Stephen, their 12-year-old, Dexter, and Betty will be there tonight. Note: that means I'm actually writing this and the preceding on Saturday afternoon. I usually do it this way, then top it off in the morning.
And now it's morning and WOW--did we have a show last night! As these things sometimes do, everything seemed to click. Opening night had been okay, but we needed to increase our volume and there were a few little snags here and there. Last night, we hit our stride: Everybody seemed to be at top form and it was wonderful fun. The only thing we have to avoid now is assuming we can just rest on our laurels (Jeez, all my metaphors seems to come out of the seventeenth century) and allowing the quality to fade.
After, Betty, Steve, Robyn, and Dex congratulated me and told me how much they liked the show. I introduced them to a lot of the company, including Jeff, Vera, and others. I was surprised to see it was only 10:45 when we finished--as usual, it seemed like the middle of the night.
I stayed up with my blueberries and whatever-I-watched-on-TV until midnight, slept soundly all night, and am looking forward to what passes as a matinee int these parts: our 5:00 pm show.
Here's some idea of the great transforming of a huge room into an "American Roadhouse"; sorry about my not-very-good photo skills and cheap Cricket phone: 
Image may contain: indoorImage may contain: one or more people and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I think the photos are great. How fortunate to have someone do the props etc. It's perfect. Did you have a band? So glad it was a hit.

Mimi said...

Yes, indeed, we have a band--see the third photo. That's Chris just warming up before the other band members got there. Actually, the person ("Kat" for "Katherine") does only the decoration. We have two assistant directors/stage managers, Jen and Alex, who handle the props;get the stage set up for each change; are at every rehearsal to follow the script and respond when an actor calls "line"; keep the director's notes; act as "go to" person for problems; and do a multitude of other things. They're both incredibly competent and also so patient and kind--they're wonderful.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...