Friday, August 09, 2019

H.H. And Rehearsal

Changed the sheets, washed them and clothes, went to the post office to send Mike's letter and a little something for Mr. K., my grandson in Tokyo. Rehearsed my lines several times, showered, changed, and got the bus for town about 2:00. Met my three cohorts at 3:00 at Cafe Fiore and had a good Happy Hour--a personal pizza and a cold brew.
Stayed until a little after 4:00, then hopped the bus for home. On the way, Betty called to say she, Steve, and Robyn would attend the 5:00 show on Saturday. I then realized  I had accidentally told Carolyn there'll be a 5:00 each day, but they're only on Sundays. Fridays and Saturdays, the show starts at 8:00. I hastily called Carolyn, then texted Robyn the correction.
Rehearsal at 6:30. The other play came on first and I watched that. It was subtle, but I could see the improvement in the acting and especially, how smoothly it went. When our turn came, we first did a speed run-through. I had heard of these, but in the companies I was with in Jersey, they were not done. Actually, it may very well have helped, just to kind of limber up the voice and mind.*
The tech guy was there part of the time and started setting up his lighting sequences. These are pretty intricate: In our play, I speak directly to the audience four times and the stage darkens except for the spotlight directly on me.  Anyway, it went well. We ran through the whole thing once, then I had to repeat my soliloquies while the techie adjusted his spotlight.
A show always gets more real, more interesting, more exciting (and scarier--what ever made me think I wanted to do this?)  the closer you get to opening night and now it's a week away--yay!
Got home a bit after 8:00 and called El to tell her I don't have rehearsal tonight--happy day. We decided I'd get to her place at 4:00 and we'd go out for dinner. I'll stay over, then drive back here for the all-day rehearsal tomorrow.
*This is everybody saying lines as they are in the play, but as quickly as possible and sans blocking.
Note to myself: I called Penney's to dispute a $29.80 late fee/interest charge. The person I talked to, to"Josh," agreed to remove it. He was exceedingly rude, incidentally.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

We've done the speed thru. Our Director at the time called it the 'Italian'. Not sure why. Some of our folks slowed down after a bit, but like you,
I think it did help.

Mimi said...

The Italian? That's funny--maybe because Italians often speak rapidly, especially with hand gestures

Friday

Weight: home down a pound to 124.4; T.O.P.S., down .03 to 125.2, so okay. The meeting was the usual: therapy session and general chat for mo...