Friday, January 04, 2019

Pompeii And Rosebuds

Fun day! Walked Kimball, had breakfast, and was ready when Suzanne rang my bell at 9:30. We drove (well, she drove) to Simi Valley on a beautiful, sunny day. The Reagan Library is set on a gorgeous hill, with lovely vistas all around; I've been there before, but never fail to be thrilled by it.
Happily, it wasn't terribly crowded, but just enough to be festive. We got in within five minutes, and started the Pompeii exhibit.
This is just fabulous. It's about the best I've ever seen and, unlike that joke of an exhibit, the Titanic one, which was more the movie than the actual event, all the artifacts there were authentic. And what artifacts: There were kitchen and other household items, jewelry, friezes, statues, and a wealth of other items, all displayed and presented in wonderfully absorbing detail. Near the middle, the preserved casts of the victims were on display, all caught in their various poses while being overcome by the fatal lava. We both enjoyed it so much, and after, we got lunch and sat on the veranda overlooking the beautiful landscape. Betty called while we were there and we chatted for a bit and I said I'd call her when I got home.
I did and said I'd visit her next Thursday, not to stay over, but just for lunch. Also talked to Carolyn.
Took the bus to town after that, but mistakenly thought it was warm enough for just a jacket.
It wasn't. I had planned to walk to The Promenade, but it was so chilly, I just went a few blocks and turned back. Stopped in the library and, with the help of one of the librarians (David), I found some books on Pompeii. I read there for a bit, then checked them out.
What a lesson we could learn from Pompeii!  I'm sure most of its thousands of citizens were going about their business--or pleasure--when they were stopped in their tracks by mighty Mount Vesuvius. Surely, most weren't dwelling on the end of their existence. They had their gods they were sure favored them--after all, didn't they pay homage?--and all their expectations of further life. Come to think of it, I don't know what that lesson is, except the necessity of amassing rosebuds.


No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...