Friday, January 18, 2019

Rain, Then Dry, Then Toastmasters

It was coming down pretty good when I got up. Did my usual morning things, then dressed to go to Olivelands School. I was due at 7:55, but naturally with my obsessive fear of being late, I was almost twenty minutes early when I was a mile away. Pulled into a parking lot and waited, then went on.
I went directly to the auditorium to find lots of little kiddies and some teachers and aides. Some of them were having breakfast, some sitting cross-legged on the floor, and it was a little noisy, but not bad and it was nice to hear. Lindsay, the principal and my fellow judge, came up and said hello  (I've met her before) and shortly, Ellen led her class in, as did other teachers. This is an elementary school, kinder to fourth grade, and those in the spelling bee--about fifteen kids--were from second, third, and fourth. 
I hadn't realized that Ellen organizes the bee until she gave the introductory talk, welcoming attendees. Another teacher conducted, presenting the words, each with an explanatory sentence. It went eight rounds until there were only two children left, Ivan and Oscar, and Ivan finally successfully spelled "the championship word" and won. He'll now compete with children from other schools in the area.
Anyway, it was great fun to be with little children again and by the time I left, the rain had stopped, a good omen. Went home for breakfast, did a few chores, then drove  to the mall to walk a bit and to buy another set of stick-on nails. Boy, do the ones I put on for the party on Saturday look good! Went to WinCo later and got some nice fresh tilapia and frozen tuna steak.
Received an e-mail from Carolyn B., asking for my advice on her proposed Toastmasters speech, which I answered at length. After another vegetarian dinner, I changed and went to Toastmasters at 7:00.
I did my "Cabin Fever" poem and it went over very big.  John C. was my evaluator and boy, he was wildly enthusiastic. The meeting itself was sparsely attended, as usual, with only six members. We did have three guests: two who live at the Lexington and a young woman named Joy, who's from Polynesia. I liked her a lot and hope she joins.
Home to Frasier and didn't get to bed until 10, but got up at my usual, 5:15. T.O.P.S. today and I'm not optimistic about my weight.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
What was the championship word? Was the winner one of Ellen's class? Sounds like it was fun.

Mimi said...

The word, if I remember correctly, was "undisclosed." The boy wasn't in Ellen's class, he's in fourth, but Emmanuel, in her third grade, was runner up.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...