Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Rain

Rain, rain, and more rain. No chance for Kimball yet again, not to mention my town walk. Actually, I didn't set the alarm and slept until 7:00. Woke up feeling pretty lousy, but after I took two aspirin (don't tell my medical adviser, Dr. Patti) and had my coffee, I revived. I still had a slight sore throat and a little hoarseness, but felt considerably better.
I stayed in after breakfast, going slowly crazy, mostly at this godawful machine. I was so bored I even violated one of my self-imposed rules and played a hidden object game for a bit. Betty called and we talked about the amazing amaryllis plant Ellen gave her, which seems to be growing two inches a day.  After lunch, I had had enough. I donned my rain gear, picked up my umbrella, and headed to town.
No, not on the bus--I'm not quite that foolhardy. If it hadn't been raining OR if I didn't have a cold, I probably would have, but even though I did it on Monday to Ojai, I nixed it. Drove to Surfer's Point to see the wild Pacific. It was wild, all right, and incredibly, there were two surfers out there. Left after a few minutes and drove to the library. Started a Cole Porter bio and read for an hour or so, then headed home.
I e-mailed back and forth to the other three in my Happy Hour group. They all begged off going today--probably wise--although I said I would, trusting I'll have recovered by this afternoon. Diane then asked if I'd like to instead join her in her tai chi class at 1:00 today, then have a glass of wine. Called her and said I'd make it another time. I do want to do that, but it occurred to me that I have to be at Ellen's school at 7:55 am tomorrow to judge the spelling bee, then I have Toastmaster at 7 in the evening. I didn't want to miss either and thought I should spend another day coddling my cold.
El called on her way home and we had a good talk about the evil boy in her class--I believe he's a true sociopath--and other things. I'm looking forward to seeing her tomorrow.
Got up this morning, still with symptoms, but not bad. I think I'll survive.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

OK Miss non-compliant. BTW the recommendations I posted the other day would do nothing if you did have "terminal pneumonia". They were simple comfort things and to prevent the 'cold' possibly from moving down to your chest smarty pants.
But...today you write you took 2 aspirin. Please tell me you had some food in. your stomach before you did take them. Otherwise, you set yourself up for gastritis. I'm sure you knew that, didn't you?

If it's just a cold the old adage 'treat it and it takes 7 days to go away. Leave it alone and it takes a week'.

I'm sure you know not to sneeze on people and cover your mouth when you cough. Lots of viri spread just by breathing, but don't stop doing that...LOL.
Otherwise enjoy your day.
/p

Mimi said...

No, I didn't know about the gastritis thing! I seldom take aspirin at all, but when I do, it's usually when I first get up--before breakfast, but after coffee. So far, no prob. Ha--I had heard that old saw about the 7 days or week before. I guess that's what I count on. Actually, I feel good today, so I think it's waning. As for covering my mouth, etc. around others--absolutely, I'm very conscious of that. Thanks for your concern--even though I'm such a recalcitrant patient!

iloveac said...

Aspirin on an empty stomach and on top of coffee.....you are asking for big trouble young lady!!
I'll send the health dept to your home for in-depth education on how viri spread and how to properly use aspirin products.
/pmr...former public health nurse among other things i.e before I became a pole dancer.

Mimi said...

I knew it! It all makes sense now: You were a pole dancer because it was the next best thing to being head majorette! Humph--I'm surprised you haven't invited Dick in to see your sexy gyrations. Or have you...?

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...